Weighted Flag Poles

Meaghatron

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carriage bolts work best. A 2inch bolt in the top and a 1 inch bolt in the bottom gives a nice balance. I'd bring a stopper to the hardware store so you can get the right one (I think it's the bolts that are 1in diameter, but it might be 7/8").

I'm guessing Will is from the midwest or east coast ;o)

I use fiber glass poles and metal poles with different groups I teach. We weight them differently.

a 6 ft fiber glass pole uses a 1.5 inch carriage bolt in the top.

a 6ft metal pole uses a 2 inch carriage bolt in the top.

If you have a normal sized silk on the pole these weights will make the pole not "pulse" while rotating. You might WANT that pulse.... it's a personal choice. I want my flags to rotate evenly and cleanly so that the silk stays open as much as possible (the point of a flag is to show varying degrees of color based on choreography right?).

But like I said... it's a personal choice. Try out a couple ways and see waht feels comfortable for you.

I'm guessing Will is from the midwest or east coast ;o)

I use fiber glass poles and metal poles with different groups I teach. We weight them differently.

a 6 ft fiber glass pole uses a 1.5 inch carriage bolt in the top.

a 6ft metal pole uses a 2 inch carriage bolt in the top.

If you have a normal sized silk on the pole these weights will make the pole not "pulse" while rotating. You might WANT that pulse.... it's a personal choice. I want my flags to rotate evenly and cleanly so that the silk stays open as much as possible (the point of a flag is to show varying degrees of color based on choreography right?).

But like I said... it's a personal choice. Try out a couple ways and see waht feels comfortable for you.

JBro: I am from Kentucky. I didn't know that I could be identified by how I weight my flag poles.. HAHA..

Fiberglass? UGH! Too heavy... I like my poles light, with just enough of a bolt in them to not get blown away in the wind.

Out here in the MidWest (or Southeast, depending on where you look at it) we tend to use metal poles. Although, there are few groups here in Kentucky that use wooden poles (7/8".. brings back memories from winter guard).

Put a carriage bolt in each end of the flag. Spin and toss. if it feels or looks "wonky" in the air, use a different sized bolt in each end until it feels/looks right.

Different flags (material, size, number of seams) and different poles (aluminum, copper, fiberglass--which I dissuade anyone from using) and pole lengths (5.5', 6', 6.5', etc.) will require different weights.

There's no real one-size fits all weighting procedure. Just make sure that EVERYONE has the same weights on either end of the pole.

Edited by quegrawks

If you go to Lowe's or True Value Hardware you can usually find the big boxes of bolts behind the little drawers/bins of bolts. You might be able to order online from Lowes.com also.

Hope this helps!

we weight ours with a 5.5 inch at the top and a 2.5 inch at the bottom, using a 1" washer.

We also use foam insulation roll that's sticky on the bolts to keep them from rattling. One piece on either side of the bolt keeps it in place. Because it's lightweight, it doesn't add any weght.