Drum Corps Mom says Hi

Hi there DC Vets and Fans,

My daughter is playing trumpet for her second year with the Blue Knights. This will be her senior year in high school, so if she goes all the way (and she is hardcore so I think she will) then she will be able to get 7 years.

I gotta tell you the truth; we have raised a princess (she is perhaps a little spoiled by her parents). But I have been blown away these two years with how tough that little (4'11") chick is!!! This activity really helps people find their inner discipline and stamina. These are lessons she will take into any other situation for the rest of life (dealing with discomfort and exhaustion, dealing with physical pain, dealing with negative, grumpy people, dealing with unfavorable scoring (grades) and critiques, dealing with the bus ride that will never end, etc. etc.) Of course, the other side of the experience is there too (these young people are laughing until they almost bust a gut, they are having all the "inside jokes", they are part of a team, and something bigger, and they are having the time of their lives.)

This is also a girl to whom playing trumpet came rather easily (she always had great, dark tone), and so...she coasted and never really practiced until drum corps. Now she's becoming a screamer. And the lung power is fantastic for a kid who used to go to the hospital for her asthma attacks - another reason to be glad for drum corps.

I only just found this forum a few weeks ago, but I've been lurking constantly, and I really feel that I have learned so much. My daughter was fairly impressed with me the other night when I was able to use terms like "music book" and "box 5" and "cleaning drill", etc.

I really enjoy the reviews so much (even though I realize that a few people on the board do not really "get" the BK, but that's another post altogether and I totally understand that). I love the creativity in the posts (the five word description of the shows and that hilarious review of the rained out show) and how good everyone's memories are for the shows they've seen.

I took my vacation to watch two shows when some of the corps did the "Texas Swing" (in Dallas and San Antonio) - so I won't get to go to Finals this year. I will be watching the Quarters at a movie theater in two days, though, so I am really pumped.

I hope you all will say a quick (or lengthy) hello to me, especially any other drum corps parents out there!

Warmest,

BlueKnightMom

Hello,

It is great when we can be proud of our childrens acomplishments. I too had a daughter who marched guard and I was so very proud of her . I was on staff so I got to travel with the corps. And I got to see each performance. I miss those days lol. Sit back and enjoy it passes by so fast. Good luck at finals. and welcome aboard.

I gotta tell you the truth; we have raised a princess (she is perhaps a little spoiled by her parents). But I have been blown away these two years with how tough that little (4'11") chick is!!! This activity really helps people find their inner discipline and stamina. These are lessons she will take into any other situation for the rest of life (dealing with discomfort and exhaustion, dealing with physical pain, dealing with negative, grumpy people, dealing with unfavorable scoring (grades) and critiques, dealing with the bus ride that will never end, etc. etc.) Of course, the other side of the experience is there too (these young people are laughing until they almost bust a gut, they are having all the "inside jokes", they are part of a team, and something bigger, and they are having the time of their lives.)

I gotta tell you....whether the kids are playing on 1, 2 or 3 valves, G, Bb, stepping off with their left or right foot, using a microphone or not....THIS has always been the crux of drum corps. THIS cannot be changed by key signatures, valves, electronics, or what ever else it is that we in the stands use as our theory for the death of "real" drum corps.

What you just wrote above is REAL drum corps.

Period.

I gotta tell you....whether the kids are playing on 1, 2 or 3 valves, G, Bb, stepping off with their left or right foot, using a microphone or not....THIS has always been the crux of drum corps. THIS cannot be changed by key signatures, valves, electronics, or what ever else it is that we in the stands use as our theory for the death of "real" drum corps.

Period.

Here, here!

Hello,

It is great when we can be proud of our childrens acomplishments. I too had a daughter who marched guard and I was so very proud of her . I was on staff so I got to travel with the corps. And I got to see each performance. I miss those days lol. Sit back and enjoy it passes by so fast. Good luck at finals. and welcome aboard.

Thanks so much.

Glad to see a proud momma :)

post pics

Period.

(((BLUSHING))) Thanks!

Well, I am a mom first and a newbie fan second, so it comes naturally for me to think in terms of what is beneficial to the member TOTAL experience, instead of being intense about the competition or the details of the music or visual programs! I am as likely to be passionate about their laundry being dirty as about the drill being dirty, etc.