Div II/III Prelims Review with Pictures

Raiders - Not normally a fan of West Side Story but I do tend to really like the Raiders, so I gave this one the benefit of the doubt. Still wish they had picked some different music but they did a very good job with one of the most over played pieces in drum corps. Most intense drum majors of the day. Nice to see Raiders big enough for Div II. Great guard work.

div23-562.jpg

Vanguard Cadets - The show is called Ascension - Music from the Divine Comedy. Great pit runs, strong low brass. Show has a quiet ending with the corps just marching off. As with any Vanguard corps, it is hard to take your eye off the cymbals because you feel like they are going to do something awesome. I'm sure I missed quite a bit of the rest of the corps watching the cymbals and probably missed some great cymbal work while checking out the others.

div23-626.jpg

Blue Devils B - I loved the music in the ELP themed show. Jerusalem was awesome. Very sophisticated sound. Good body work by the brass. Nice guard work.

div23-639.jpg

Teal Sound performed Voices of The Sun. Great opening flags. Big sound. Great projection from the pit despite not having amps. At one point a guard member was wandering around the field and her face looked pained. I thought she might be sick until the rest of the corps started dropping like flies. Strong in all areas, they were definitely a step up from the previous groups.

div23-687.jpg

Jersey Surf - The show tells about a journey across the country. Starting on Side 2, the show flows across the field to Side 1. Biggest sound of the day. This is not the same corps I saw at Allentown and Hershey. This is the best Jersey Surf ever. Strong in all captions and really building a great infrastructure, great things are in store for this corps. Great cymbal line, strong guard, big brass sound, awesome drum line, smokin pit, very entertaining show. California Dreaming was the memorable musical moment of the day.

div23-765.jpg

Spartans have a strongly themed show ("Tarot") featuring original music by Key Poulan, Peter Furnari and Eric Putnam. Poulan is a master at creating music that matches the identity of the corps and this show is no exception. You know this is the Spartans. Visually the show includes several Tarot cards announcing each section of the show and a gypsy reading tarot cards and a crystal ball. Great drum line and pit - best of the day. Great guard costumes.

div23-787.jpg

Raiders - Not normally a fan of West Side Story but I do tend to really like the Raiders, so I gave this one the benefit of the doubt. Still wish they had picked some different music but they did a very good job with one of the most over played pieces in drum corps. Most intense drum majors of the day. Nice to see Raiders big enough for Div II. Great guard work.

<snip>

Yeah Ryan Mallen!!

Thanks for the review!

Edited by oneanddone06

My vote for Ryan Mallen for DM of the Year for Div II/III. WHAT control and what showmanship (I have a just a TAD bit of experience in that department...LOL!!). Besides...

HIS NAME IS RYAN!!!!

And Mr. Maher--WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great great great great!!! THANK YOU for the pics dude. You rock!!!

Yay Ryan!

Oh! and thanks for the review and pictures, Mr. Maher...I'm sure I'll see you at a football game this fall!

Slide shows of each of the corps from Tuesday's show are now on the site.

2007 Pictures

Great! Thirty pictures of Mystikal and the one with me in it makes me look bad (kind of). Good job. :P

Just kidding. Thanks for the reviews, and as a will-be journalism major, I'll say this: those pictures are top-notch.

FAKE EDIT: I'm the trumpet player in pic 29, in case anyone was wondering.