What is DCI worth?

Revenue is in the ball park of what I expected, but I'm surprised they're showing a loss (at least for last year). Not sure if this really reflects their cash flow, or is just a function of how they account for costs.

Also looks like Dan Acheson is underpaid. But he's certainly not in this for the money (nor is anyone else who does DC as a full time job, I'd wager).

Could very well be an "accounting" loss, not a cash loss. This is why I stated earlier that you really can't tell that much from these public postings/tax returns and such. It's very dangerous to try to form conclusions about an organization -- how they are run, what their costs are, what financial shape they are in, etc -- without seeing the entire picture, which you can only get by examing their internal books. Even the revenue might not equal "cash taken in".

If an organization is drowning in debt, maybe you can get some warning signs from guidestar or a tax return, but without full disclosure and due dilligence, please don't try to draw any conclusions about the health or structure of any organization because you will only be passing off speculation as worry or praise.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok and then add

-the apperance fee's for the corps participating,

-judges to fly in and pay for their services

-Marketing the event

-fees to ticketmaster

-staff to help run the show, and their travel expenses

-catering for staff and judges

-stadium crew to clean up after the show

-camera crews

-av equiptment to produce video/audio

-people to run the av equiptment

and im sure there is plenty more I cant think of.

It all adds up.

Ok and then add

-the apperance fee's for the corps participating,

-judges to fly in and pay for their services

-Marketing the event

-fees to ticketmaster

-staff to help run the show, and their travel expenses

-catering for staff and judges

-stadium crew to clean up after the show

-camera crews

-av equiptment to produce video/audio

-people to run the av equiptment

and im sure there is plenty more I cant think of.

It all adds up.

Plus I'd be shocked if it only cost 20 grand to rent the Rose Bowl. Maybe a high school stadium for a regular show. Course then you're not getting anywhere near 10k people!!!

I'm going to start putting this response on a hot-key. :)

No offense, really. This is a common misconception. But ....

Not-for-profit is a legal/tax distinction that says that your PRIMARY purpose is not to seek a profit, but rather is some other defined purpose (eductional, religious, charitable, etc). ....

Correct. Did you all know that IKEA is set up as a non-profit? They "educate" on design. Serious.

is there a limit as to how much profit they can make?
There are rules governing this sort of thing but they are rather vague and extremely liberal. Thereare non profit organiztions with many millions in assets.

Plus I'd be shocked if it only cost 20 grand to rent the Rose Bowl. Maybe a high school stadium for a regular show. Course then you're not getting anywhere near 10k people!!!

I believe that.

Was a very non-negotiable $12,000 for DeKalb weekend. (Brent, correct me if I'm off)

I think Columbus Crew Stadium (a sweet, professional soccer stadium) is about $10,000, including facility staff, ticket office, security, etc. Rick Bays will tell you.

I remember some HS stadiums, depending of course, on the facilities and how much clout the band director had - for as little as $2,000. Maybe less. Paying for the corps and providing housing is the hard/expensive part.

Edited by dannyboy

Got a big birthday coming up ?? :P

ha no...i was just lookin at the brand spankin new cardinals stadium in tempe and was amazed a drum corps show was held in such an awesome facility and then i got to thinking about how much it cost to rent the place out for the day

I believe that.

Was a very non-negotiable $12,000 for DeKalb weekend. (Brent, correct me if I'm off)

I think Columbus Crew Stadium is about that, including facility staff, ticket office, security, etc.

You can get a high school stadium, depending of course, on the facilities and how much clout the band director has - for as little as $2,000. Maybe less. Paying for the corps and providing housing is the hard/expensive part.

Okay. Just seemed low to me, but I've never looked into it, so I'll take your word for it. :)

Still only a small portion of the total cost of the event as mentioned earlier.