Lead Sop/Trumpet Players

Sweendoc

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my fledgling days as a "screamer" I played on a Schilke 13A4A that had been bored out. It served me well, but as soon as I stopped playing every day (after high school) it was not a good mouthpiece to just "pick up" on.

I tried the CG3, and MF Jet Tone and a Bach 3D. I'm sure many of you are thinking "ok, those are pea shooter pieces". Well, despite being a big guy, I don't have very large lips, so those seemed to work fine.

I went to Mars Music when there still was one in Bloomington, MN, and was looking at some Marcenkiewcz (sp?) pieces. I didn't really care for any of them. Then the guy who was helping me said, "Just a minute" and went back to his gig bag. He pulled out a pouch and handed me a Laskey 60S*. Compared to the other pieces I had just tried out, this thing felt like an ice cream pail on my chops. But I liked the sound, and even though I had pretty much blasted my chops playing a bunch of highnotes on the Marcinkewicz pieces without warming up, I was still able to play with a pretty big sound on his piece and I noticed that the rim held things in pretty well.

I now play on a Laskey 60S* in all situations, lead or otherwise. I've found that it gives me a good round sound, and I love how much air the piece will take.

Mike,

I've heard a lot of good things about the Laskey mouthpieces but have never personally played on one.

Unfortunately, there are only a very few stores that carry them, so you can't easily try them out. Brasswind (at least when I bought mine) would send you up to 3 mouthpieces at a time and if you bought one, you could sen the other two back with no restocking fee, or if send all three back, they charge like a $6 per piece restocking fee.

Before I bought from Brasswind, I actually e-mailed back and forth a couple of times with Scott Laskey about his mouthpieces and company. He seems like a really down to earth guy and was a great help. If you check out his web site, he hangs out with some pretty good company too (see the photo album link).

The Scott Laskey Website

Thanks for all the replies, keep them coming! I guess I'll add my 2 cents worth. I have always preferred a shallow mouthpiece. For almost 30 years, I played a Schilke 6A4a. Two years ago I switched to a Giardinelli 17s. This mouthpiece gives me a much better attack, and helps me slot the notes with more ease. I believe the sharper inner rim does that trick. Also, IMHO, it takes much less effort to play double C on Bb trumpet with the Giardinelli. I also use this piece on my "G" Kanstul Powerbore bugle. B)

I've been playing a 20 year old Bach 1 1/4 C ever since my roommate found it on the Bluecoats equipment truck and decided it was way too big. (please nobody claim it) I use it for C, Bb, and Eb. There's something about that vintage of Bach that makes them really easy to play. The Marcinkeiwicz 308 I drilled out seems to work great for lead playing. I can actually play a little bit higher on the 1 1/4, but what's a major second when you're above a G. It's more of a timbre thing anyway. Oh yeah and a Bach Mount Vernon 7C for picc.

Sorry I almost forgot to mention that I used a Marcinkeiwicz 308 (not drilled out) for soprano. Great match for a kanstul powerbore in case anybody's looking and it has a nice flat rim on it that's nice for long playing days.

Edited by John Schmitt

2 cents from me...

1997 Tarheel Sun: 3C

1998 Tarheel Sun: CG3

1999 Crossmen: CG3

2000 Crossmen: CG3

2001 Crossmen: Warburton 4M with a 10 backbore

I finally found a mouthpiece I liked by 2001 :-) 98-2000 I just went with what I had, but after I saw the book for 2001, I decided I was going to die a slow death if I didn't find something with a more comfortable cup! I also have no problems switching from the Warburton to a 1 1/2 C, which is what I play on for everything else.