Competition or Athletic Event

Where does DCI fit? If we all agree that this is an athletic event, then there may be a place for the heckling and booing. However, if this is a competition invloving marching and playing, then shouldn't we celebrate the performance? If I go to see the Chicago Symphony I don't boo because I don't like the Maslanka symphony they are performing, I applaud the performance.

Where does DCI fit? If we all agree that this is an athletic event, then there may be a place for the heckling and booing. However, if this is a competition invloving marching and playing, then shouldn't we celebrate the performance? If I go to see the Chicago Symphony I don't boo because I don't like the Maslanka symphony they are performing, I applaud the performance.

Ahhh, but what if the conductor interpreted the piece by directing someone to make endless and ostensibly meaningful statements into a microphone during the performance that sometimes drowned out the music, which is supposed to be the POINT of the performance? I tell you that I wouldn't boo...but many people would be hard pressed NOT to do so. And they would have cause.

Stravinski's "Rite of Spring" caused a riot. How's that for the ultimate in boo-ing?

I believe by paying for a ticket you have the right to react to a performance the way you would like to. Unless some kind of conditions to abide by are written on the back of your ticket or printed elsewhere, you merely have to abide by the law - as well as the rules of the facility the competition is being held in. Ticket buyers have the right to express their opinions, even if some choose disrespectful ways of showing it. I think corps should be held accountable for what they put on the field, after all, that is what customers are paying to see.

Stravinski's "Rite of Spring" caused a riot. How's that for the ultimate in boo-ing?

Time and place...very different situation.

A riot at DCI, oh boy!! Only if we had Star 93, Crown 04 and Cadets 07 back to back to back!! Some folks might just lose it.

I'm not sure what qualifies as an "athletic event," but I'm confident in saying that what those kids are doing is athletic! I'm also confident in saying that for the many weeks leading up to finals, they are (hopefully) recieving some pretty intense musical instruction qualifying this as an educational event as well. Like we all differ in which corps we prefer, we will all probably differ on where DCI fits. Marching Music's Major League aside, I prefer to think of these contests as "performances" rather than "games" and would respond to them accordingly. I'm sure others will think of them more as a game and thus find that booing and heckling would be appropriate responses. Not my cup of tea, but after reading a whole lot of posts this morning I'm thinking there are people out there who will likely boo even louder tonight to prove their points.

Could you see the headline on Foxnews. Rioting drum corps fans turning over cars and lighting them on fire. Couches thrown into the streets. I tell you, mass chaos!!!

HA! Where I live (Columbus, Ohio), burning couches on the HIGHWAY and in the streets aren't chaos, they're an autumn tradition!

If the performance is judged, scored, and awards given for placement... it is indeed a competitive event. Whether it is an " athletc event " is certainly open to legitimate debate. But it is clear that DCI is recently promoting Drum Corps as an " athletic event ". They mention " Major Leagues", and routinely compare the performers as athletes and even compare the heart rate of a drummer to that of a " well conditioned athlete ", and counless other references to what " athletes " and Drum Corps kids do on a football field throughout the broadcast. Even the catch phrases the announcers use...... " a shoot out at the ok corral " and" so and so Corps brougt their A game," etc are routinely used by announcers at Athletic competitions. DCI has brought the " GAMES " to ESPN. There can be no question that DCI has been promoting the athletic competition aspect of the activity. With that, why is anybody surprised that some of the " fans " ( athletic term itself ) are beginning to take on the aspects of the typical fan behavior you'll see at ANY college football, baseball, basketball game ? Or why an announcer of the competition is mildly taking a minor jab at some of the fans ? These things ROUTINELY happen at all college sports competitions. And on a MUCH larger and more heated verbal scale. Certainly DCI knew what they were doing when they embarked on this athletc side promotion. And some fans have responded ( fortunately or unfortunately ) in the manner one typically sees at a college sports competition.

Edited by X DM