APD problem Crown from Quarters

I downloaded Crown from quarterfinals this morning, and there is buzzing and static in the first couple of minutes, especially noticeable right before the big hit :47 and beyond. I tried downloading it again, and I tried converting to mp3. Neither thing worked.

The other APDs seem to be fine, but I am disappointed with the quality of the download from Crowns show.

Any body else experience this problem?

I called DCI, and they said send an email. Well, I sent an email about the first batch of APDs I downloaded from June (I figured that out long ago), but I never heard back from them! I sent an email anyway, but I really do hope they respond and fix the download....

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Rose Bowl lights buzz very loudly. This was an issue two years ago there at the TOC drum corps show, and it hasn't gotten better. It's audible in all quiet moments. Remastering with a notch filter will help, but it could still be an audible problem.

I hear the lights, but that's not it. And I dont think it is with the microphones or master, or my speakers for that matter (I noticed it first in my car). I think the downloadable file is screwy somehow. But for $3.50, I do want it fixed! I was disappointed that the DCI phone person was so quick to inform me "There is no problem with Crown" before I even finished my question.

but I never heard back from them!
Yeah, well this is off topic but I emailed them back in '04 after spending a couple of hundred bucks on two great seats for the three shows in Denver. Our section seemed to attract every corps member that didnt make semi's or finals and they chatted, laughed, talked on cell phones, hit each other, ran every corps through the mud, and just overall acted like misbehaving toddlers. I spoke to the usher at one point because I was ticked and he said they can sit anywhere there is an empty seat. Well eff that, it was my last finals. DCI never had the decency to even respond to my email. In other words I wouldnt hold my breath. :)

I hear the lights, but that's not it. And I dont think it is with the microphones or master, or my speakers for that matter (I noticed it first in my car). I think the downloadable file is screwy somehow. But for $3.50, I do want it fixed! I was disappointed that the DCI phone person was so quick to inform me "There is no problem with Crown" before I even finished my question.

I got some good information from a good source. What I know is:

Yes, there is a problem with the file.

Yes, it has been pulled.

It is getting corrected and will be available to everyone who purchased it.

No, it is not related to the light hum; it's some sort of artifact.

If I hear anything else, I'll let you guys know, but they do know there is a problem, and it's getting corrected. If you had customer service tell you it "wasn't Crown", it was probably because they thought it was the Bluecoat BAC link snafu.

The Rose Bowl lights buzz very loudly. This was an issue two years ago there at the TOC drum corps show, and it hasn't gotten better. It's audible in all quiet moments. Remastering with a notch filter will help, but it could still be an audible problem.

Well, the catch with lights like that is that there are lots of harmonics that a distributed above and below the fundamental -- notch filtering isn't terribly effective. That said, I know that is being addressed in the APDs, DVD audio, etc. It's just an unfortunate problem with the facility and its age.

wow drumcat, ur my new best friend :laugh:

thanks for the great info

if you hear that it has been corrected and put back up, can you (or someone) reply here? then I will try again - hopefully before my allotted download period expires!