A rock and a hard place

While this year seems very tight at the top (and near 12th), we really seem to be caught between the scylla and charybdis here.

If BD wins, they will have won with the least demanding show - music and drill - compared to the top 12 that I can remember in two decades. One easy example: I didn't see a single geometric block of any kind, which all other corps in the top 12 have in spades, and in which it's easy to see dirt. Rather, they have just a series of BOA level curvy lines, lots of follow the leader, and a lower average BPM than the rest of the top 12, all of which are the easiest to clean. More park and blow than any corps in semis. And comparatively, not a lot of notes. Very odd for BD, who usually have unreal demand. I've even seen long threads on DCP from BD fans worried about BD's lack of demand, especially compared with Cadets. http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...howtopic=102683 It's all clean though. Maybe that's the future of DCI - low demand, very clean. Build yourself a target that's all bull's eye, and hit the bull's eye every time.

If Cadets win, a huge percentage of people will be dissatisfied because they just can't get past the narration. I also think the narration is problematic, though less than most people do. I've read scores of comments to the effect of "this is a gold medal show without the narration." So that means the narration affects brass scores? Visual demand? The show has by far the highest demand in every area, but it's tough not to be distracted by narration. High demand, very clean, but fingernails on the chalkboard narration for many people.

I LOVED the Bluecoats show and thought they should be several notches higher, and think Cavies should be ahead of BD for sure (much more demand, and at least as clean.)

This is just such a tough year not to have the majority of people disappointed with the placements.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a problem with Cadets' narration, and I see where the critique is coming from.

I can't remember a year in which the semi's champion didn't make my jaw drop from demand and execution. This year, I saw little to say wow about in BDs show, and I cringed at some of Cadets' narration. Hence the rock and a hard place.

Look, I'm hardly the only one who sees a glaring lack of demand in BD's show, champion or not. Read the thread from BD fans linked above.

You're a very ignorant person, and your statements only prove it. BD only looks easy because they make it look easy. Their drill is the most movement ive seen out of that corps in a long long time. I'll agree Cadets have a very fine ensemble, however, my major point of contention is their narration. I'd be perfectly happy with them winning if they just cut all the narration. They won't. So go BD!

I totally agree with the OP. No matter who wins this year, people won't be happy. The narration haters will hate it if the Cadets win. The simplicity haters will hate it if BD wins.

I'm not a fan of the narration, but I'm rooting for the Cadets because that's the best corps and best show they've had in years. Honestly, I'd be happy if anyone but BD wins, because I just can't give credit to a corps that parks and plays 75% of their show. What they do, they do flawlessly, but standing still the whole show is just boring.

bd is boring, atleast to me

While this year seems very tight at the top (and near 12th), we really seem to be caught between the scylla and charybdis here.

If BD wins, they will have won with the least demanding show - music and drill - compared to the top 12 that I can remember in two decades. One easy example: I didn't see a single geometric block of any kind, which all other corps in the top 12 have in spades, and in which it's easy to see dirt. Rather, they have just a series of BOA level curvy lines, lots of follow the leader, and a lower average BPM than the rest of the top 12, all of which are the easiest to clean. More park and blow than any corps in semis. And comparatively, not a lot of notes. Very odd for BD, who usually have unreal demand. I've even seen long threads on DCP from BD fans worried about BD's lack of demand, especially compared with Cadets. http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...howtopic=102683 It's all clean though. Maybe that's the future of DCI - low demand, very clean. Build yourself a target that's all bull's eye, and hit the bull's eye every time.

If Cadets win, a huge percentage of people will be dissatisfied because they just can't get past the narration. I also think the narration is problematic, though less than most people do. I've read scores of comments to the effect of "this is a gold medal show without the narration." So that means the narration affects brass scores? Visual demand? The show has by far the highest demand in every area, but it's tough not to be distracted by narration. High demand, very clean, but fingernails on the chalkboard narration for many people.

I LOVED the Bluecoats show and thought they should be several notches higher, and think Cavies should be ahead of BD for sure (much more demand, and at least as clean.)

This is just such a tough year not to have the majority of people disappointed with the placements.

Well I hope to be a reasonable voice in this thread -- unlike the two I've read so far who would prefer to be rude, call you and your supposed favorite corps names, adding nothing to the conversation. Let's see if we can make a conversation out of this despite a rocky start.

I watched the webcast last night.. and I realize that I'm not getting the whole picture from that webcast, multi-cam view of the shows but I must say I see where you're coming from.

I saw BD live in Indianapolis and noticed the same thing you did.. I expected them to come in and hold a form while they blew my face off throughout their show (as I like to have my face blown off, I was looking forward to it).. but then they stayed in those non-moving spots for a really long time. The more it happened, the more puzzled I became. I was trying to understand why the scores were so high. The show was pretty good for the first half.. but then it felt like it died out in the second half. Lots of recycled visual elements (note that I recognize EVERYBODY does it.. I just didn't get anything NEW mixed in like we seem to get from other corps who do it).. For me, TOO much standing still playing.. but I can see how they wouldn't be tired when they DO have to move so that when they do move, it is much cleaner -- which could explain the high numbers.

I had not seen Cadets before last night and I was braced for the worst.. but you know (and I may very well be in the minority on this), I like that show. I GET IT. I really do get it. I think the narration works.. I even think the show would be less good without it (and I am NO FAN of narration). But the first viewing of this show.. late in the season as the finished product.. I got it. The voices of many in the first half are talking about the things they believe and bring with them into the whole.. and how those beliefs all kind of work together to create this amazing whole thing.. but then the second half (people like to call that the emo kid -- which I disagree with.. but that's another issue entirely) is about how the WHOLE and all the beliefs that made it so great impacted an individual which explains why he's the only one talking through the whole second half.. I mean... I even get giddy when I talk about it. I really get it.. and even if that's not the intent.. that's what I get from it and that's part of what makes it so cool. I think my concern before seeing the show was that the narration was telling me what to think about stuff.. or what to see.. or how to interpret.. but when I finally saw and heard it, that wasn't the case at all. So.. couple that with the incredible music they're playing (I'm not completely sold on the drill.. though I know what they're doing is extremely difficult in parts.. I think the Cavaliers have them here).. I think I was watching this year's champion last night.

Now.. to your point, I would find a Devils championship this year very disappointing. Not that I dislike them.. I don't. I grew up on a steady diet of BD and SCV.. but the show they have this year doesn't grab me from top to bottom technically like I expect a championship show to do. I think back over the last 20-something years of finals' I've watched either live or on PBS or elsewhere.. and back to the champions of those seasons.. and with out exception, whether I liked the show or not, the champion that year grabbed me. The technical superiority of the champion each of those years is undeniable from top to bottom of the show they won with.

I'm not getting that from Blue Devils this year.. and I tend to agree that I think Cavaliers should be ahead of them.. and I'll grant you, the Cavaliers are my favorite corps. I won't deny that.. but even without that, I think the demand and execution, element to element in their show surpasses the demand and execution in BD's show.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it.

Stef

So, if The Cavaliers win tonight, we have solved the problem. :P

(How happy I would be if they did win tonight! :) )

hahaha.. a nice thought.. but I don't know if it could happen. Both Cadets and BD would have to have severe blowouts .. and I just don't think that's going to happen..

Stef

hahaha.. a nice thought.. but I don't know if it could happen. Both Cadets and BD would have to have severe blowouts .. and I just don't think that's going to happen..

Stef

Neither do I. :(

BUT

Since they are less than .6 out of first place, I will not give up hope (especially for a 2nd place finish). :)