A rock and a hard place

I like the changes in the narration. It's toned down a bit, although "emo-kid" seems to have turned into a motivational speaker on crack. He needs to learn that emotion does not mean talk louder and blow out the mic. Otherwise, I thought they had the most entertaining and demanding show out there last night.

I do agree with this. While the talking still makes the show less desirable for me, they have made it far less annoying than it was earlier in the summer. I still can't imagine ever listening to it or watching it in the future, but if they were determined to keep those elements in the show then they have at least improved it a lot. Much better use of that equipment than last year.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DH and I have been talking about this since Thursday night and I'm glad we're not the only ones feeling this way. I'm predicting that I'll be leaving the Rose Bowl a little hollow tonight.

But, I think the most watched shows when we get the DVD will be the 4th - 7th place shows.

Watching back, the Blue Devils show is very deserving. There were points that had me remembering one of my favorite DCI shows of all time, Methods of Maddness! I'm hoping they get the edge tonight!

While this year seems very tight at the top (and near 12th), we really seem to be caught between the scylla and charybdis here.

If BD wins, they will have won with the least demanding show - music and drill - compared to the top 12 that I can remember in two decades. One easy example: I didn't see a single geometric block of any kind, which all other corps in the top 12 have in spades, and in which it's easy to see dirt. Rather, they have just a series of BOA level curvy lines, lots of follow the leader, and a lower average BPM than the rest of the top 12, all of which are the easiest to clean. More park and blow than any corps in semis. And comparatively, not a lot of notes. Very odd for BD, who usually have unreal demand. I've even seen long threads on DCP from BD fans worried about BD's lack of demand, especially compared with Cadets. http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...howtopic=102683 It's all clean though. Maybe that's the future of DCI - low demand, very clean. Build yourself a target that's all bull's eye, and hit the bull's eye every time.

If Cadets win, a huge percentage of people will be dissatisfied because they just can't get past the narration. I also think the narration is problematic, though less than most people do. I've read scores of comments to the effect of "this is a gold medal show without the narration." So that means the narration affects brass scores? Visual demand? The show has by far the highest demand in every area, but it's tough not to be distracted by narration. High demand, very clean, but fingernails on the chalkboard narration for many people.

I LOVED the Bluecoats show and thought they should be several notches higher, and think Cavies should be ahead of BD for sure (much more demand, and at least as clean.)

This is just such a tough year not to have the majority of people disappointed with the placements.

I could not have said everything better myself. In fact I had to actually check to see if I did write this. The truth is BLUE DEVILS NEVER REALLY HAVE A HARD SHOW. THEY DO A TON OF PARK AND BLOW AND FOLLOW THE LEADER DRILL REALL REALLY CLEAN IN FACT SUPER CLEAN LIKE PEFECT AND THEY HAVE A TRUMPET FEATURE WITH SOME 16 NOTE LICKS AND THEN PLAY mf AND MOVE IT UP TO FFFF A COUPLE OF BIG HITS IN THE SHOW. THEY WIN BECAUSE DCI USES THEM AS A MARKETING TOOL AND THE JUDGES KNOW IT. BAND KIDS LOVE BD. THE UNIFORMS, THE SURFER LOOK AND THE CALIFORNIA ATTITUDE. GINO CIPRIANI LEFT BD FOR CADETS BECAUSE HE EVEN GOT SICK OF THE SAME BORRING SHOW EVERY YEAR WITH ZERO INOVATION AND LITTLE DEMAND.

UR RIGHT I'M NOT A FAN OF NARRATION, BUT STILL CAN LOOK PAST IT BUT I KNOW THE MARJORITY EVEN GOOD DRUM CORPS FANS WILL HATE IT IF CADETS WIN BECAUSE OF IT.

ITS A SHAME BLUE DEVILS WITH ALL THAT TALENT AND WAYNE DOWNEY AND THE BEST DRILL CLEANER IN THE COUNTRY WON'T EVER DO ANYTHING AS HARD AS CAVIES AND CADETS. I'M NOT A BD FAN BUT IF THEY DID THEY WOULD WIN EVERY YEAR HANDS DOWN.

THATS MY TAKE

I could not have said everything better myself. In fact I had to actually check to see if I did write this. The truth is BLUE DEVILS NEVER REALLY HAVE A HARD SHOW. THEY DO A TON OF PARK AND BLOW AND FOLLOW THE LEADER DRILL REALL REALLY CLEAN IN FACT SUPER CLEAN LIKE PEFECT AND THEY HAVE A TRUMPET FEATURE WITH SOME 16 NOTE LICKS AND THEN PLAY mf AND MOVE IT UP TO FFFF A COUPLE OF BIG HITS IN THE SHOW. THEY WIN BECAUSE DCI USES THEM AS A MARKETING TOOL AND THE JUDGES KNOW IT. BAND KIDS LOVE BD. THE UNIFORMS, THE SURFER LOOK AND THE CALIFORNIA ATTITUDE. GINO CIPRIANI LEFT BD FOR CADETS BECAUSE HE EVEN GOT SICK OF THE SAME BORRING SHOW EVERY YEAR WITH ZERO INOVATION AND LITTLE DEMAND.

UR RIGHT I'M NOT A FAN OF NARRATION, BUT STILL CAN LOOK PAST IT BUT I KNOW THE MARJORITY EVEN GOOD DRUM CORPS FANS WILL HATE IT IF CADETS WIN BECAUSE OF IT.

ITS A SHAME BLUE DEVILS WITH ALL THAT TALENT AND WAYNE DOWNEY AND THE BEST DRILL CLEANER IN THE COUNTRY WON'T EVER DO ANYTHING AS HARD AS CAVIES AND CADETS. I'M NOT A BD FAN BUT IF THEY DID THEY WOULD WIN EVERY YEAR HANDS DOWN.

THATS MY TAKE

I liked ur version better

THATS MY TAKE

Ahem, ur *cough* bitter *cough* ...

It's just an off year. None of the top corps have "legendary" shows. In fact, none of the top 6 even matches their best show of the past 5 or 6 years.

The real stories this year are Crown, Madison, Colts, Academy, etc.

But hey, the Kadevalier hegemony remains intact. They've won or shared every championship since 1990 (except for 1991). People should be used to it by now.

he's using an amp?