Cavaliers Ripped in G.E. Visual

Wacko judging strikes again.

Although the Cavaliers may not be up to par in brass and drums this year,

they definitely should be tops in GE Visual. They have taken this

caption all year. I could understand if they marched a dirty show,

but they actually won visual performance. They continue to set the

bar visually, and until someone steps up to the plate, they should

continue to be tops in this caption.

Costanza must have put his blinders on for finals.......

This opinionated form of judging must be changed! It's not fair to

the kids, and it's not fair to the fans!

It's almost becoming hilarious watching the way that judges ink

their scores. Why don't they just hold up signs after each performance

like they do in skating? 9, 9, 10, 8, 6, 9, 8, 7

Here's a toast to the Blue Devils! Here's a toast to a very opinionated

GE judge!

Congrats BD!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it is possible to win visual performance and struggle in GE Visual. performance looks at how well the corps marches, member to member. GE Visual looks at the big picture. so in other words....the drill was dirty. i think this was the dirtiest the cavies have been drillwise in a long time, IMHO

it is possible to win visual performance and struggle in GE Visual. performance looks at how well the corps marches, member to member. GE Visual looks at the big picture. so in other words....the drill was dirty. i think this was the dirtiest the cavies have been drillwise in a long time, IMHO

If the drill was so dirty, why did they win visual performance? You are not

making any sense.

If your statement is true that "this was the dirtiest the cavies have been drill wise",

then my point even has further merit! What are the judges looking at?

IMO, this was the first show in years in which the Cavies didn't have that "wow" factor, visually or musically. The show never clicked for me; in fact, it's my least favorite Cavies show in close to a decade. All season long, I've felt that the judges were being a bit too generous with the scores. However, with my personal view expressed, I can understand GNP's objection because Cavies have owned this caption all season long. In head-to-head competitions with Cadets and Blue Devils in the GE Visual caption, they were 10-3 against BD, including a string of 7 consecutive wins up until last night and 8-1 against The Cadets; the only Cadets' win was last night. I suppose it's possible they had an off night, but setting aside my personal dislike of this show and basing my input exclusively on the opinions the judging community has expressed all season long, I can see how one feels this is suspicious.

I think cavaliers beating regiment in GE Music is the real robbery. Every judge, especially in something like GE has their own preferences so you can't expect the scores to be the same every night. It made no difference in placement so I don't see what the big deal is.

I think cavaliers beating regiment in GE Music is the real robbery. Every judge, especially in something like GE has their own preferences so you can't expect the scores to be the same every night. It made no difference in placement so I don't see what the big deal is.

wickerbill,

I agree with your statement as well. I do not believe that Cavies have any

business scoring higher in GE Music than Regiment.

Here is the big deal: Your own statement: Every judge, especially in something like GE has their own preferences

This is why there needs to be a change.

Perhaps the judge(s) have finally realized that what the Caviliers do is the same every year. Visually their show ends up being a lot of pinwheels, break ups into meshes and rotations. They have essentially marched the same drill for at least the last 5 years. They do execute what they perform very well, but overall it's not very difficult and 9 times out of 10 when the horn line is marching something difficult, they aren't playing. Also look to see where they line up their company fronts. I would bet money that over 3/4ths of them in the last 5 years line up on the front hash. Is it smart? Yes. Is it easy? Yes.

You have to compare the corps difficulty, and execution. The Cavi's have regenerated their shows visually for years now and finally have paid the price.

Perhaps the judge(s) have finally realized that what the Caviliers do is the same every year. Visually their show ends up being a lot of pinwheels, break ups into meshes and rotations. They have essentially marched the same drill for at least the last 5 years. They do execute what they perform very well, but overall it's not very difficult and 9 times out of 10 when the horn line is marching something difficult, they aren't playing. Also look to see where they line up their company fronts. I would bet money that over 3/4ths of them in the last 5 years line up on the front hash. Is it smart? Yes. Is it easy? Yes.

You have to compare the corps difficulty, and execution. The Cavi's have regenerated their shows visually for years now and finally have paid the price.

Vash,

I can tell that you are a rookie. Because of the style of marching that the Cavies have, they are probably

the only corps on the field that could do what they do. Most of the other top corps would fall on their face

trying to do a Cavies type drill. Believe me, it is very difficult. Other corps marching style are not conducive

to a Cavies drill design.

Every corps on the field has park and blow spots. Including BD, who does more park and blow than any other

corps in the top 5. It really doesn't make any sense to try and play difficult passages when moving at 210 bpm.

You have to have give and take if you want to see good visual and hear great brass.

My personal opinion was that cavies were getting the benefit of the doubt as far as visual demand. other corps have stepped up to the plate and are on par with the Cavies. There isn't this huge difference we saw with cavies and the rest of the field, like we saw maybe 5 years ago.

We see enough of the Cavies drill done by other corps in spots in their shows. It is the same with the majority of batteries doing a BD style drum break.

Anyways, Cavies score last night was adjusted rightfully back to their quarters score (approx.)

Was this judge the same idiot that had them 3rd in Vis GE last year for THE MACHINE after having won that caption every show until finals which is why it was so close last year. :blink: