Housing for Finals

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious. How is this any different than 97 and 98 in Orlando? Seems I recall a NUMBER of corps being housed at hotels (or roach motels) at the last minute when housing did not come through or changed their minds.

Just wond'rin'.

Stef

I'm curious. How is this any different than 97 and 98 in Orlando? Seems I recall a NUMBER of corps being housed at hotels (or roach motels) at the last minute when housing did not come through or changed their minds.

Just wond'rin'.

Stef

It's not. It's still the same person doing the same job. :lookaround:

definition of insanity: doing the same thing, the same way and expecting different results.

In '96 we had to sleep at a church because they wouldn't let us sleep at the school we rehearsed at. A hotel would have been much nicer than cramming into the church. It didn't seem to hurt us too bad that week though.

In '96 we had to sleep at a church because they wouldn't let us sleep at the school we rehearsed at. A hotel would have been much nicer than cramming into the church. It didn't seem to hurt us too bad that week though.

I remember that.. and I remember driving our little rented Neon (one of a million in Orlando that year.. you should have seen the pandemonium in our hotel parking lot in the mornings!!) all over town trying to find you guys to watch you rehearse.. after what felt and seemed like forever, we ended up at the church and discovered you weren't rehearsing there and gave up. We ended up watching VK rehearse in the empty lot behind their roach motel (seriously.. you may have been better off at the church!).

There were lengths of yellow caution tape at the edges of their practice field. We asked what that was all about and the hotel staff told us it was to remind them not to go past it.. it was a swamp and there were alligators..

yeah. I'm not sure if they were pulling our legs or not.. either way, though.. yikes.

That was fun.

Stef

Yeah, we weren't too close to Orlando. I think we stayed in Ocala. It took us about 1-1/2 hours to get to the stadium from our rehearsal site.

All we did at the church was sleep. We ate, rehearsed, and showered at a HS about a mile away.

From what I heard, several corps wished they were housed in hotels, after having all kinds of thefts and violence happen at their housing sites.

Maybe DCI should hold finals in New York City some time. They can house the corps in Harlem and Bedford Stuyvesant :lookaround: .

Heh....a Holiday Inn Express, perhaps??

First off, that would be the GREATEST Holiday Inn Express commercial. I would love to see a bunch of random people just put on uniforms and wail out some amazing drum corps show that's all jazz runs, double C's and some 3D drill that involves jetpacks and flying, and getting a 100. And out of nowhere they would come, and Brant Crocker would just scratch his head and say on the mic "These guys must be the greatest drum corps ever and practiced for years for that one single performance." And then the drum major would just turn around and say "No, but we did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night."

Second...I know from personal experience there are a gazillion (or possibly a real number that's almost a gazillion) high school within 50 miles of Pasadena. I have family all over the place, I marched Pacific Crest and I've competed in marching band shows there, and NEVER have I been to the same high schol twice (except at a few PC rehearsals), nor do any of my family who usually WALK to eachother's houses go to the same high schools, nor do I even know anyone from PC that knew more than one person at any of those high schools nor went to the same high school. And on that note, I know a ton of corps that share housing sites all the time!

How the HECK are there corps that couldn't get a housing site?! Dropping the ball DCI, just saying.