Housing for Finals

First off, that would be the GREATEST Holiday Inn Express commercial. I would love to see a bunch of random people just put on uniforms and wail out some amazing drum corps show that's all jazz runs, double C's and some 3D drill that involves jetpacks and flying, and getting a 100. And out of nowhere they would come, and Brant Crocker would just scratch his head and say on the mic "These guys must be the greatest drum corps ever and practiced for years for that one single performance." And then the drum major would just turn around and say "No, but we did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night."

Second...I know from personal experience there are a gazillion (or possibly a real number that's almost a gazillion) high school within 50 miles of Pasadena. I have family all over the place, I marched Pacific Crest and I've competed in marching band shows there, and NEVER have I been to the same high schol twice (except at a few PC rehearsals), nor do any of my family who usually WALK to eachother's houses go to the same high schools, nor do I even know anyone from PC that knew more than one person at any of those high schools nor went to the same high school. And on that note, I know a ton of corps that share housing sites all the time!

How the HECK are there corps that couldn't get a housing site?! Dropping the ball DCI, just saying.

There are a LOT of schools that will not allow for housing due to a combination of early school starts, liability issues, and bad experiences with previous visits. Althought I will not defend DCI for dropping the ball...I have seen that too much lately. :lookaround:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I heard, several corps wished they were housed in hotels, after having all kinds of thefts and violence happen at their housing sites.

Maybe DCI should hold finals in New York City some time. They can house the corps in Harlem and Bedford Stuyvesant :worthy: .

This isn't the 70s, Rip Van Winkle. New York is one of the safest cities in the US. Has been for the last decade.

Unfortunately, finals in NYC would be difficult. But Giants Stadium is do-able (Cadets have their home show there).

There are a LOT of schools that will not allow for housing due to a combination of early school starts, liability issues, and bad experiences with previous visits. Althought I will not defend DCI for dropping the ball...I have seen that too much lately. :worthy:

If schools have had problems in the past - why would they agree to house a corps in the first place? It's not like DCI waited

until finals week to line up housing. They have that stuff planned out pre-season.

As far as I know, every corps had housing sites and what I've heard is that there were a couple schools that decided at the 11th

hour that they didn't want to do what they had committed to for whatever reason (administration changes, pressure on admin

from coaches/parents, etc). So it's probably the schools who dropped the ball not DCI.

Edited by bartyount

First off, that would be the GREATEST Holiday Inn Express commercial. I would love to see a bunch of random people just put on uniforms and wail out some amazing drum corps show that's all jazz runs, double C's and some 3D drill that involves jetpacks and flying, and getting a 100. And out of nowhere they would come, and Brant Crocker would just scratch his head and say on the mic "These guys must be the greatest drum corps ever and practiced for years for that one single performance." And then the drum major would just turn around and say "No, but we did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night."

I totally agree....that would be a great commercial!

for the record...Fever, Super 8 in Anaheim....rehearsal fields, wherever they could find them....hours on the freeway, seemed endless.

Despite all of the housing issues though, the kids did a GREAT job! They say, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger!

There are a LOT of schools that will not allow for housing due to a combination of early school starts, liability issues, and bad experiences with previous visits. Althought I will not defend DCI for dropping the ball...I have seen that too much lately. :worthy:

Bad experiences with previous visits..........??? And DCI finals has been to So Cali before?

Spokane Thunder Good Night Inn about 20-30 minutes to our practice sight. Apparently sketchy neighborhood, awesome denny's though!

Bad experiences with previous visits..........??? And DCI finals has been to So Cali before?

Um... corps stay in school facilities on every leg of tour, not just DCI finals, as I'm sure you know. Southern California is no stranger to drum corps, there are what, 6 corps in the greater LA area? A drum corps doesn't have to be at championships to #### off the people who run their housing site.

Unfortunately, finals in NYC would be difficult. But Giants Stadium is do-able (Cadets have their home show there).

I really wouldn't mind finals being there. Maybe a corps would stay in my school. :P It'd be nice to have about a 10 minute ride home from finals....