I ask DCI

With the advent of narration we face a new challenge in the evaluation process.

Narration is now a part of the drum corps show, whether we like it or not we can't ignore it. No one can deny that narration has been a part of several drum corps shows over the past few years. I believe that since narration is now a part of some drum corps shows, it should be evaluated as part of the presentation and therefore, should effect the overall score. But there is a problem with this. Everything that is done during a drum corps performance can be evaluated within the restrictions of the ajudication rubric. Drill is evaluated on its effectiveness, and its design and complexity, but drill is also evaluated on how well each of the members can march on an individual to individual basis. As of now narration can only be feasibly evaluated on how it adds or detracts from the overall effect of the show. No judge can assign a number to how well the narration is performed. Simply put, there is no performance caption for narration.

In other words.

If a narrator is a poor actor, there is no accountability except for the general effect caption. But even the G.E. caption only allows for evaluation with respect to two elements of drum corps. Visual and Music.

Any judge who has done anything BUT ignored narration with respect to his or her evaluation of a drum corps performance including narration is kidding themselves. Right now there is NO space for the evaluation of narration from a performance or effect standpoint within the rubric.

If DCI is to allow narration in the presentations of groups they need to allow for a space for it on the rubric. If its a part of the show it needs to be judged and right now it can't be. Of course this brings up many problems for groups who do not use narration. Because if you have a "narration" caption... what happens to groups who don't have any? You could consider narration, being a element of auditory stimulation, like music, under the music category. But narration isn't a part of the musical texture, it is something else.

DCI has allowed a radical element of drum corps to be added without accounting for how the evaluation of such an element is to be dealt with. Personally I find this a little irresponsible considering no one seems to have thought of this. Or at least people have thought of it that I don't know about and nothing has been done to address this.

Bottom line: If people are going to be performing narrative lines in drum corps shows, their individual performance technique needs to be recognized by DCI. If you're going to act poorly, it should hurt your score in some justifiable sense.

So with that I ask DCI, if there is poor narration in a drum corps show, in what sub-caption should a judge reflect this through a score?

please answer me DCI.

and for that matter, DCP. I want to know what everyone think about this.

Edited by asifindnoarta

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe you should speak with DCI directly.

Lots of us are wondering the same thing....perhaps you would be better served sending this question to DCI directly.

Barring that, once the off season Rules Congress takes place, hopefully we can get it answered on a "Field Pass" during that time.

I don't really understand what the big mystery is concerning it, myself...

Submit this question to DCI and wait for a response. If one doesn't return within a reasonable amount of time, resubmit the question until you get a response.

How do I do this?

Visit DCI's contact page. You can either write to them via postal mail, or submit this in their web based form. Good luck. I'd like to read their response to you when it comes in. =)