Mouthpiece Suggestions

Benny_4

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Consensus....

6.5AL or loudest?

I tend to be able to play louder on the 5G/5GS type mouthpieces. The V-ish cup of the 6 1/2AL makes it a bit squirrelly when pushing the upper dynamics.

• 3 weeks later...

I like my LM-35. Great mouthpiece. I own a total of 18 mouthpiece. I have a Denis Wick 6BS which is a good alternative to a 6 1/2 AL... it has a more V-shape cup and a better rim than the 6 1/2AL.

The Denis Wick 4SM is also good. The Schilke's rim tend to give kinda me a muddy sound to my articulations so I'm not a huge fan but it is not a bad mouthpiece... wish I ould find my 53 now!

Don't buy a mouthpiece because someone else tells you it's good. Go out and try a bunch of different ones until you find the one that works. Everyone's face is different and what works for one person won't work as well for another.

Don't buy a mouthpiece because someone else tells you it's good. Go out and try a bunch of different ones until you find the one that works. Everyone's face is different and what works for one person won't work as well for another.

My only problem with this is that, some corps don't let you take the horns home, and therefore, you can't find the right mouthpiece until they tell you which one to buy after you make the hornline

The "best" mouthpiece is technically whatever you make it. I like my 5G... no matter what anyone else thinks. Caption heads, lesson teachers, parents, whatever, will tell you "X mouthpiece" is what you need.

A suggestion from me though is try a 5G, Schilke 51D, and a Denis Wick 4SM since these are always what people tell me are the "standards".