DCA opening a junior divison

We're re-branding for the already converted here. But I have read there is a marketing plan to go with it? That could be something more substantial depending how well it is planned and executed.

When you say "we," do you mean that you're involved with the rebranding? If so, I have some suggestions for you in this new endeavour.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of DCA shows only have 5 or so corps competing. Wouldn't it be great to be able to list off another division with another 3-4 corps?

Yah, but your making the assumption that DCA would want to add (and potentially have to pay) another 3-4 corps.

The greatest benefit is to smaller junior level corps that can't afford the tour. It's either tour or fold. Weekend-only corps could survive and possibly grow into a touring corps. I think we could see new junior corps under the DCA model as it's easier to get a corps off the ground with the reduced costs.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the combined DCA/DCI shows in the midwest work well now and the audience enjoys both sides of the game, don't they? In essence, there's your pilot project.

Edit - Cali too if I'm not mistaken.....

I'm not going to argue with you that it is obviously less expensive to start up a non-touring corps than it is a touring one. I do disagree, however, that "it's either tour or fold."

It often seems in this forum that there is a presumption that jr. corps are forced to tour. I reality, I believe that they WANT to tour, as to many members and organizations, the traveling road show is a main reason to be a junior corps in the first place. This year, there were several eastern corps that didn't go west, and next year it will be the reverse. I don't think that the "either tour or fold" statement is accurate.

If they are in danger of becoming inactive due to the high cost of touring, it is a viable alternative to closing up shop.

And starting up is always easier when your annual budget is less.

As for distance, what's wrong with a State or Regional Championship if you can't make the trip from Cali to Rochester? And why not have it a week or two before labour day weekend to accomodate the school year? This stuff can all be overcome with a little imagination - it's viable. More than viable, it could be the only alternative to folding for some corps.

There could also be something in this to solve Renegade's perennial problem of getting enough DCA sanctioned shows in before finals.

The reason that it is generally less expensive to operate a senior corps than a junior corps has more to do with what the members of senior corps pay out of their pockets, vs. what the junior corps members do. In many senior corps in the midwest, for example, corps members drive themselves to local shows (rather than renting a bus or paying a driver), feed themselves (rather than having to maintain a cook wagon and a cook crew), and some even buy their own instruments, in addition to paying member dues.

I can't imagine how happy the midwestern band directors would be if their band kids had to miss the end of band camp (or in some cases the first football game) so that their kids could travel to the DCA championships over Labour Day.

Some very good exchanges here......how about maximizing the smaller/weekend corps availabilty for regional DCA shows to add to their DCI income?????

J

Is DCA willing to pay the juniors? Or, would they go from making next to nothing in DCI to making next to nothing in DCA too? Most of the Open class corps don't even sell t-shirts, so they couldn't even make up the money there (not that they're making any at small junior shows either).

When you say "we," do you mean that you're involved with the rebranding? If so, I have some suggestions for you in this new endeavour.

No - it was a royal "we".

Yah, but your making the assumption that DCA would want to add (and potentially have to pay) another 3-4 corps.

Probably not a lot, certainly not as much as your top DCA corps. I'm also making an assumption, a fairly good one I think, that more corps would pull more spectators. It's important to remember we're talking about corps that are struggling here.

I'm not going to argue with you that it is obviously less expensive to start up a non-touring corps than it is a touring one. I do disagree, however, that "it's either tour or fold."

It often seems in this forum that there is a presumption that jr. corps are forced to tour. I reality, I believe that they WANT to tour, as to many members and organizations, the traveling road show is a main reason to be a junior corps in the first place. This year, there were several eastern corps that didn't go west, and next year it will be the reverse. I don't think that the "either tour or fold" statement is accurate.

"Didnt go west" but still had a shortened tour. We did it in Dutch Boy in 2003 - it still isn't cheap. Weekend-only and more local would be cheaper, easier to attain and potentially keep a struggling unit alive.

The reason that it is generally less expensive to operate a senior corps than a junior corps has more to do with what the members of senior corps pay out of their pockets, vs. what the junior corps members do. In many senior corps in the midwest, for example, corps members drive themselves to local shows (rather than renting a bus or paying a driver), feed themselves (rather than having to maintain a cook wagon and a cook crew), and some even buy their own instruments, in addition to paying member dues.

I can't imagine how happy the midwestern band directors would be if their band kids had to miss the end of band camp (or in some cases the first football game) so that their kids could travel to the DCA championships over Labour Day.

If you read throught the posts above I'm not recommending they travel to DCA championships. I'm recommending they compete locally, and if we need a championships in all this, do it at the state or regional level maybe the week after DCI week.

A lot of us did this kind of thing back in the day, and yes we did take a sandwich and maybe get a dinner at MacDonalds. If all-age DCA members can do it why not junior DCA members?

Is DCA willing to pay the juniors? Or, would they go from making next to nothing in DCI to making next to nothing in DCA too? Most of the Open class corps don't even sell t-shirts, so they couldn't even make up the money there (not that they're making any at small junior shows either).

So how is one worse than the other? Again, we're assuming here that these corps can't do the tour thing.