DCI Minimalist Movement

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But none of the music used in Star 1993 was anywhere close to minimalism...at all...

I agree with that. Bartok was a very serial composer. Just because it was subdued doesn't mean it is minimalist. I suppose what was meant was that the music was minimal in its emotional spectrum, with only a few climax points.

But none of the music used in Star 1993 was anywhere close to minimalism...at all...

...for the intents and purposes of "drum corps show design", I think it was...think about how it was constructed:

-few places for audience reaction.

-musical climax occuring during the latter mid-point of the show.

-more musical design around p rather than ff.

True "minimalism" in music for drum corps is going to be virtually impossible to do (drill might be acheivable, but at what sort of Visual cost?)...but like with other art forms, we borrow what we need in order to create for our idiom.

And something else that is interesting...The "Golden Moment" climax is not a minimalist idea either, but an impressionistic/serial idea used by composers like Debussy and Bartok.

But anyway, I get what you're saying.

...for the intents and purposes of "drum corps show design", I think it was...think about how it was constructed:

True "minimalism" in music for drum corps is going to be virtually impossible to do (drill might be acheivable, but at what sort of Visual cost?)...but like with other art forms, we borrow what we need in order to create for our idiom.

I guess. I don't think minimalism is the right word. When I think minimalism in drum corps, I think Cadets 1991 opener or SCV 2003 opener and closer.

I think Bawker is hitting at what I was thinking. In a drum corps universe it is minimalistic in a sense. I never took a music history class so I don't know how the term minimalism technically applies to music. I guess I think about it as being exposed parts, exploring the lower dynamics, low brass doing an ostinato for the last half of the show, etc. Compared to the "meaty" tradition of drum corps music it was pretty "bare bones." I know that's not a very technical way of putting it but that's how I see it from my "blue collar" music perspective.

Anybody bored enough to try and explain the technical meaning of minimalism in music to me? I'd really like to know.

I guess. I don't think minimalism is the right word. When I think minimalism in drum corps, I think Cadets 1991 opener or SCV 2003 opener and closer.

Neither of which really fall under minimalism in an true musical sense, either....but, understandable....it would be akin to watching paint dry if we saw actual minimalism on the field, unless it was done very, very well. It would almost have to be perfect show design to carry something like that.

PS If you say/type "minimalism" enough, it stops sounding like a word and sounds funny. :ph34r: :P

Wikipedia describes it as "music which displays some or all of the following features: repetition (often of short musical phrases, with minimal variations over long periods of time, ostinati) or stasis (often in the form of drones and long tones); emphasis on consonant harmony; a steady pulse; hypnotic effect; sometimes use of phase shifting where parts gradually move out of sync with each other."

I think Bawker is hitting at what I was thinking. In a drum corps universe it is minimalistic in a sense. I never took a music history class so I don't know how the term minimalism technically applies to music. I guess I think about it as being exposed parts, exploring the lower dynamics, low brass doing an ostinato for the last half of the show, etc. Compared to the "meaty" tradition of drum corps music it was pretty "bare bones." I know that's not a very technical way of putting it but that's how I see it from my "blue collar" music perspective.

Anybody bored enough to try and explain the technical meaning of minimalism in music to me? I'd really like to know.

In music, minimalism often focuses on processes. There are lots of repetitions and when something changes, it is very slight. So like you mentioned, it is comparable to an ostinato. Some cool effects happen with this type of music, notably phasing. Also, minimalist music stresses tonal harmony and a steady pulse/tempo. Some good composers to listen to: Terry Riley, Steve Reich, Philip Glass, and La Monte Young. John Adams uses some minimalist techniques, but not to the extremes these composers do.

Wikipedia describes it as "music which displays some or all of the following features: repetition (often of short musical phrases, with minimal variations over long periods of time, ostinati) or stasis (often in the form of drones and long tones); emphasis on consonant harmony; a steady pulse; hypnotic effect; sometimes use of phase shifting where parts gradually move out of sync with each other."

hmmmmm....let's see.......

Repetition

Hypnotic Effect

Steady Pulse

Minimal Variations

GOT IT -- A Kumbaya Show !!!!! :P