East Coast Jazz returning for 2008

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does a former staff member go about getting back pay from a corps that went inactive and is now trying to come out of debt?

Wouldn't they just say, "Hey, forget it. Use it as a donation to the corps." That's what will probably happen.

Not if you took the job under the conditions you were going to get paid, maybe even signed a contract. This is the same issue that happened with Esperanza... Staff members spend their summer with the corps, and if promised pay this is part of their income. I would be pretty ###### if the corps held a camp before paying what was promised.

Not if you took the job under the conditions you were going to get paid, maybe even signed a contract. This is the same issue that happened with Esperanza... Staff members spend their summer with the corps, and if promised pay this is part of their income. I would be pretty ###### if the corps held a camp before paying what was promised.

But come on...the staff can give one for the kids can't they? I mean "We're putting the corps back together, man." Pardon me, the ghost of John Belushi.

But come on...the staff can give one for the kids can't they? I mean "We're putting the corps back together, man." Pardon me, the ghost of John Belushi.

So naive. I hope you get a job working for ECJ, so you can "give one for the kids" every single year.

So naive. I hope you get a job working for ECJ, so you can "give one for the kids" every single year.

Nope...not me. I've never had an employer skip one check. Collect on time is my motto. Of course it helps when your clients are Caterpillar, IBM, Hamilton UTC, Newell Co., etc.

But, I could give some insight as to how a staff member could better structure their contracts if they were interested.

So much up front...in my business it's called a research allowance for R&D, but they could call it a signing bonus.

So much due each month, and have the amounts lessen as the time goes on. Structure the contract so that 75 percent is paid before the corps takes the field. That way, if there were issues getting paid, you'd know right away and not during the season.

Also, one missed payment means I no longer show up for work. But it helps having more than one client. And I am very choosy with my clients.

One more thing...it helps being good at what you do for them as well. Show them the value of what you bring right up front. Frequently the top instructors can get kids to come to auditions just because they are on staff.

There is no way a REAL person could abandon a group of kids because one payment to the salary was missed. If they did skip out... they should not have been teaching there in the first place because they were there for the wrong reason.

There is no way a REAL person could abandon a group of kids because one payment to the salary was missed. If they did skip out... they should not have been teaching there in the first place because they were there for the wrong reason.

what wrong reason is that? :laugh: why should staff be expected to teach "the kids" for free, and go on tour, when the organization has already agreed to pay them,..................

Edited by Gary Matczak

alright guys, I think you've bickered enough. Let whatever happens happen. Public Forum = not the place to be calling people out on such things. That's why we have a personal message button.

why don't you wish ECJ luck in their return, even if you think that it will never happen. One more drum corps is one more drum corps, is it not?