East Coast Jazz returning for 2008

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said Brian.

ANYWAYS, good luck to the organization this season should it take to the road and once again claim the east coast and good luck to the kids attending the audition camp in a few weeks. May your time spent with the Jazz be as life empowering as it was for me.

I bleed green. Swee late.

Farewell and goodnight, Jazz.

Borges, shut up. At least three staff members have posted in this thread anonymously, not counting the one "angry unpaid visual staffer" that you mentioned. Look, I know you want ECJ to come back so you can be on staff and all, but blindly supporting an organization that's proved time and time again that they struggle to put out a logistically successful drum corps (especially considering you lost the only real sane people on the admin. staff - Fred Ford and Adam St. Jean) I really can't see this being successful. And while I appreciate Tom and all of the thousands of dollars that he sunk into ECJ out of his own pocket, I really wouldn't trust any organization run by him.

Agreed. I would love to see the corps be able to come back. I wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for the experiences that I had and the people that I met while I was at ECJ. However, I find it very hard to believe that they have raised enough money in such a short amount of time to come back successfully. Running a drum corps is not exactly cheap, especially when you have to get ahold of all new equipment. Chartering busses still costs money so it's not like that will magically make money appear. I think that it is going to be extremely difficult for them to try and find a well qualified staff now that the staff/program coordinator is with Surf. ECJ has a lot to prove about themselves if they want to be successful.

I don't think it says much for the corps when the "drum major" is doing all of the PR work. In my opinion, the person in that position should not have to worry about the behind-the-scenes operations of the corps. All they should be doing is acting as a link between the staff and the members and conducting the ensemble.

I also don't think that he should have been the one to start the thread about himself being named "drum major" in the first place. Enjoy being a member, don't get involved in the corps operations, that's what administrative and support staff is for.

I don't think it says much for the corps when the "drum major" is doing all of the PR work. In my opinion, the person in that position should not have to worry about the behind-the-scenes operations of the corps. All they should be doing is acting as a link between the staff and the members and conducting the ensemble.

I also don't think that he should have been the one to start the thread about himself being named "drum major" in the first place. Enjoy being a member, don't get involved in the corps operations, that's what administrative and support staff is for.

Yeah, it's like the old saying....What's it called when a leader has ho one to follow? Just a guy out taking a walk.

and all of the thousands of dollars that he sunk into ECJ out of his own pocket,

WO WO WO ..... Don't think for a second that this happen. He got paid a lot more then the Staff did.

And it easy to find out. go to www.guidestar.org you can search for East coast jazz then look for Metro Youth. You will be surprised. And he got paid before the staff did......

WO WO WO ..... Don't think for a second that this happen. He got paid a lot more then the Staff did.

And it easy to find out. go to www.guidestar.org you can search for East coast jazz then look for Metro Youth. You will be surprised. And he got paid before the staff did......

it appears you need a paying subscription to access that info

I agree. That already makes the corps like an un-solidified and un-professional orginization.

Wo, wo, wo...don't believe everything you hear -- the business about Tom pulling a salary before paying staff members is pure bullsh** -- he may have tried to get some of what he put into the organization, but he lost more than anyone will ever know...stop hatin' -- he is a man that loves the activity and he has touched more lives than your average joe -- there are not many people around that have the kind of people that have stuck by Tom through 30+ years -- there are many, many, many people that still work with him and don't even have children marching!

This discussion literally makes me sick to my stomach. It shouldn't be a venue to bash people, all this he said / she said sh** is intolerable. East Coast Jazz is trying to make a run at putting out a strong unit -- let them try without all the negativity. Anyone that marched with the organization was touched by it one way or the other (both good and bad), but it made them stronger it the long run -- put the past behind you and move on!

Again, lets put things into perspective. DCI will not allow a poorly run orginization to join the ranks of DCI competition...World OR Open Class. The rules and standards become more strict every year. If this corps has their act together, they will be on the field in 08. If they don't, they won't be. Lets just wait and see what happens.