When it's time to walk away-

If someone leaves drum corps completely merely due to one corps having a member say 'yowsa' into a mic in one single year IMO they are not really corps fans at all...and good riddance. Personally I think we'll be seeing the type of thing we have seen the past few years...every so often this or that corps will use a bit of spoken dialogue/narration...and even more rarely you will find a longer use of it. Hardly enough IMO to drive a person screaming and yelling from the activity.

Ever hear of "the straw that broke the camel's back?" Same principle here.

So now I have another "your not a true fan-ism" to add to the list. Good thing I do not lose sleep at night over this or I would be a wreck for all the times I have been told I am not a "true fan" because I did not agree with someone on this board. :P

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was just my age interfering with my passion for the activity until I saw the Kingsmen in Pasadena at semis. I was so touched by their performance that I was in tears for at least an hour afterwards.

TG,

Your comments are touching and very much appreciated. I hope you will see us do another show again some day. B)

There was the anti-amp petition a few years ago. I signed it then, I would not sign it today. What percentage of people feel the same?

Not me - I signed it then and I'd sign another today.

It's not impossible. Every corps was started by one person with a vision. Why not a circuit? Why not do something about it? I'd support you.

Because I wouldn't even pretend to have that kind of expertise. Besides, I'm not sure creating another circuit to compete with DCI is the answer. I would be interested to see if DCA would ever consider taking in junior ranked corps as either full member corps or into a junior division. Probably won't happen any time soon......

wow - I am really different than folks who feel "out of touch" after ten years

I want change.

Things are great / let's make them even better!

I can't imagine listening to the same music as I did in 1996 or 1986 or back in my HS days of 1980.

But when I meet up with old friends from those days - they are doing exactly that!

Strange - IMO

Why go on living if the goal is to experience the same thing over and over and over?

PROGRESS = POSSIBLITY

Oh Thank the ever loving Lord! I thought I was the only one out here!

George, may I use the PROGRESS = POSSIBILITY in my signature?

I wonder how many of you really sat down and said "I might be naturally resisting to these new things just because they're new?"

I did. And I can to the inevitable conclusion that I am resisting these new things because they suck.

The "I believe" narration will still suck 25 years from now. It may suck less, however, than whatever new-fangled idea DCI is trying to foist on the activity 25 years from now.

I did. And I can to the inevitable conclusion that I am resisting these new things because they suck.

The "I believe" narration will still suck 25 years from now. It may suck less, however, than whatever new-fangled idea DCI is trying to foist on the activity 25 years from now.

You think it sucks, I think it's great. Have a nice life.

At least give the Corps. some time to work the kinks out of narration heavy shows before you make a blanket statememt. I am not a fan myslef, but realize that all new innovation takes time to truely be tested in the public eye. If it still doesn't work well (IMO) in a few seasons then i will make my decission. I suggest u do the same, in the spirit of keeping an open mind.

It still amazes me that anyone thought that narration or singing was an essential component to a show. Many claim that DCI (the BOD) has a vision. I know the bottom ($) line drives any organization, but where is a line drawn? I know many will say 'free for all', standard response. If we agree that DC is a niche activity, why bother to make it more 'mainstream'?

Edited by cajal

At least give the Corps. some time to work the kinks out of narration heavy shows before you make a blanket statememt. I am not a fan myslef, but realize that all new innovation takes time to truely be tested in the public eye. If it still doesn't work well (IMO) in a few seasons then i will make my decission. I suggest u do the same, in the spirit of keeping an open mind.

The only problem with this is that it isn't innovtive or new - it's been done in the band world for the last 20 years or so. Plenty of time to work out any kinks.