DCI Broadcast Blurb in Sports Illustrated

Eh.... national exposer and a "marching band" referance. I'll take that.

I think it is important to stress a difference between the two. It isn't a slam on either, but I think its a good thing.

Last year my roomate was watching ESPN2 with me, waiting for the DCI Broadcast. When it came on, he responded, "Is this the marching band thing you do?". I explained what it was, the instrumentation, the marching, the members, and design that makes it different from a typical marching band.

Making a distiniction is a great way to bring people who are turned off by the general idea of a marching band. When you associate something that everyone has seen, it's also VERY important to let the viewer know that it isn't your typical 'marching band'.

After informing him about the amount of dedication, work ethic, music, and all the things that go into a drum corps performance, he became genuinely interested in it, even asking me yesterday when it was coming on again.

Nothing wrong with being different.... since thats what most drum corps members are!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Making a distiniction is a great way to bring people who are turned off by the general idea of a marching band. When you associate something that everyone has seen, it's also VERY important to let the viewer know that it isn't your typical 'marching band'.

After informing him about the amount of dedication, work ethic, music, and all the things that go into a drum corps performance, he became genuinely interested in it, even asking me yesterday when it was coming on again.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. The exposure in SI is great, but how many people who read SI are going to say, "Oh wow, a bunch of marching bands are on TV! I'll definitely check that out!"

I agree the term is useful in explaining generally what the activity is, but it's an immediate turn off to some people. There are plenty of readers who saw the words "marching band" and immediately moved on, thinking back to what their high school marching band did. Throw out some words with mystery behind them like "Drum Corps" and you might be surprised how many people will tune in to find out what it is.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. The exposure in SI is great, but how many people who read SI are going to say, "Oh wow, a bunch of marching bands are on TV! I'll definitely check that out!"

I agree the term is useful in explaining generally what the activity is, but it's an immediate turn off to some people. There are plenty of readers who saw the words "marching band" and immediately moved on, thinking back to what their high school marching band did. Throw out some words with mystery behind them like "Drum Corps" and you might be surprised how many people will tune in to find out what it is.

ME! ME! ME! (hand stretched high, twisting in agony)

I do get ur point though.... Mystery is the biggest draw... just ask any pre-teen boy LOL

But which holds more presitige and make people go "oooo" and "ahhhh", a Ferrari or a Honda? Just because they are the same doesn't mean people will react the same.

Well, they will probably act the same if they have never really seen a car at all. To them, both will look very similar and have the same wow factor.

I'm convinced that some of you hang around the computer all day, re-loading DCP over and over again in search of something, ANYTHING, to complain about.

Astute observation! And sadly, I agree with you! :(

<snip>

"Just thinking of the good old days"

It is so sad!!!

CODI

:doh: I respect your right to express your opinion far too much to express mine here as to what is really sad. :ph34r:

I'm convinced that some of you hang around the computer all day, re-loading DCP over and over again in search of something, ANYTHING, to complain about.
ME! ME! ME! (hand stretched high, twisting in agony) :P