Cavaliers DM question

Whenever I see the Cavaliers at retreat they have 3 guys- 2DM and another guy. Who's the 3rd person and why does he have a different color cape than the other two? Thanks!

The drum majors and guard sergeant choose which color cape they would like to wear. It's entirely a matter of personal preference.

Edited by horn_star

Which one? I'm pretty sure 06/07 had co-Guard Sergeants.

06 did.. but 07 I think was just Brady Sanders...

06 did.. but 07 I think was just Brady Sanders...

Actually, '06 and '07, both had Brady Sanders and Mark Laydon as co-guardsargeants. Huh...I should know. Mark's my son and Brady is like a son to me.

They both joined The Cavaliers together in 2003 and aged-out together in 2007. They were, are and will always be the best of friends (and of course brothers). :)

I thought it was Brady, but on the ESPN2 showing of DCI Championships it doesn't look like Brady to me, so is it Mark or is it really Brady?

Edited by Cavies Fan165

Actually, '06 and '07, both had Brady Sanders and Mark Laydon as co-guardsargeants. Huh...I should know. Mark's my son and Brady is like a son to me.

They both joined The Cavaliers together in 2003 and aged-out together in 2007. They were, are and will always be the best of friends (and of course brothers). :)

ahh, thanks for clearing that up! Brady is a great guy, he now teaches guard at my alma Mater... if you'd like to see what he has done to help our show... click the link below. :)

While I honestly haven't inspected the DM/GS that closely for cape choice, the tradition goes back to 1976, when The Cavaliers changed from the green satin / shako look of the first 28 years to a more "Cavalier" or 'Standing Man" look to the uniform. That first year the entire horn line and flag line wore the white capes and the DM actually wore a green cape with the traditional black uniform beneath. The GS has, to the best of my knowledge, proudly worn the black cape since.

I thought it was Brady, but on the ESPN2 showing of DCI Championships it doesn't look like Brady to me, so is it Mark or is it really Brady?

It was Mark at championships this year, & Brady last year. The two of them would alternate for all award ceremonies.

From afar, I could always tell who was out there since Mark is shorter than Brady. And because a mother knows these things. :P

It was Mark at championships this year, & Brady last year. The two of them would alternate for all award ceremonies.

From afar, I could always tell who was out there since Mark is shorter than Brady. And because a mother knows these things. :P

Thanks, that clears everything up :)