Hypocrites, most of you.

Here's my thought, though. Michigan City is one heck of a drum corps town and they're going to take Div. II/III Prelims and make it as major as possible, including going to the show. This could offset, if not outdo, any potential attendance loss from the Indy crowd who are not willing to make the trek to Michigan City for II/III Prelims. Again, please note that ONLY Div. II/III Prelims is in Michigan City. The rest of the II/III events are at Lucas Oil Stadium, along with the Big Boys.

Based on what I know of Michigan City and the committee, living only ten miles from there, I would have to totally agree with that.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does it seem that so very few are aware of this fact?

Is it possibly due to very few people on this board rarely visiting the Division II & III forum? (Some reading this might even be saying, "There is a Division II & III forum here?"

It's been a HUGE topic of conversation ever since it was announced at the Michigan City DCI show on July 6.

Is it possibly due to very few people on this board rarely visiting the Division II & III forum? (Some reading this might even be saying, "There is a Division II & III forum here?"

It's been a HUGE topic of conversation ever since it was announced at the Michigan City DCI show on July 6.

It's the crux of the problem, Mike. Too many people believe it's an afterthought, and it makes one wonder if the way is exists now is the cause.

Sound like excuses and not reasons to me.

Reason being, the lower corps consistently have not much more than

a handful of people attending their performances and they are playing

in the "big boy" stadiums.

That was certainly the case in Madison a year ago, and the big II & III show was the day of the big Divison I show, in the same town, in the same stadium, without too much time in between shows so people could stay at the stadium, shop the souvie booths, go out and eat at one of the nearby restaurants or bars AND already be parked so they wouldn't have to fight the parking mess later.

That was certainly the case in Madison a year ago, and the big II & III show was the day of the big Divison I show, in the same town, in the same stadium, without too much time in between shows so people could stay at the stadium, shop the souvie booths, go out and eat at one of the nearby restaurants or bars AND already be parked so they wouldn't have to fight the parking mess later.

and about 2800 people took advantage of this....including my son and I.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump for the rating.

How much would it screw things up had 2 judging teams and went every other corps between Div 1 and Div 2/3 for the first cut of prelims?

After that. complete Dive 2/3 giving the Div 1's a day or two off to clean?

That would certainly increase the profile of Div 2/3 and draw in fans.

There are certainly a LOT of reasons that they could not do this, but I do like the way it would cause me to sit in the stands and watch a LOT of drum corps. I used to watch a LOT of small corps at DCM because they'd comingle the Senior corps with Div 2/3, making the entire morning show interesting.

How much would it screw things up had 2 judging teams and went every other corps between Div 1 and Div 2/3 for the first cut of prelims?

After that. complete Dive 2/3 giving the Div 1's a day or two off to clean?

That would certainly increase the profile of Div 2/3 and draw in fans.

There are certainly a LOT of reasons that they could not do this, but I do like the way it would cause me to sit in the stands and watch a LOT of drum corps. I used to watch a LOT of small corps at DCM because they'd comingle the Senior corps with Div 2/3, making the entire morning show interesting.

You've hit the right button, inadvertantly pointing out why things CAN'T work this way. Yes, you could have a dual-class show. You could have different judges. But you've just removed the opportunity to get ANY tickets for Open Class.

Open Class attendance is almost entirely a subset of World Class attendees. Everyone keeps trying to say how they can "work in" Open corps *into* a World show. Whether it's a competitive allowance, in-between scheduling, or any hybrid of it, every system that puts an Open Class corps in front of people who paid for World Class tickets is putting forth a system that, I believe, hurts Open class.

If you think that the Open Class product won't stand on its own, and will not sell tickets, you are predetermining its impending doom.

Another way; if you want Open Class to survive, we need to figure out how to get more people to buy tickets for an Open Class show.

I'm not trying to pick on you specifically dcm_alum, but the point keeps coming up that somehow Open can be subsidized more or ride the scheduling coattails of World. It can't work, and continue to have the division exist. If you just schedule Finals for both at the same event for the same venue and same ticket, you reduce the income specifically set aside to Open to $0. If this "parallel universe" is going to work, we have to have money going to BOTH sides. Open Class has to stand on its own two feet, and start generating income, or you're going to get 20-some corps directors saying "it's not worth it", and saying join World or go do parades.

How can Open make more money? That's the real question.

How can Open make more money? That's the real question.

For one, Open can market itself as what it is, rather than what it isn't.

Edited by corpsvalues