DCI/DCA Dynasty

Martybucs

So the world champions of drum corps, both DCA and DCI used DYNASTY horns.

Lots of people trash DEG on here and praise Kanstul and King as the best.

Kanstul and King are great horns, my argument has always been, so are Dynasty horns and it's the player that makes the difference.

Those of you that simply don't like DYNASTY probably will only say these corps were either lucky or that their victories are that much more impressive because they're using equipment you don't like.

In anycase, I'm pleased that my favorite G bugle is a DEG Dynasty.

I know, next comes the stories about how some one had to cut 3 inches from the tuning section of a DEG to get the horn in tune...

Edited by Martybucs

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely shows that Dynasty brass are good enough to win!

The Hit Men were amazed how our new Bb/F DYNASTY's improved tone quality, intonation, and blend. We couldn't be more pleased with them!

The Hit Men were amazed how our new Bb/F DYNASTY's improved tone quality, intonation, and blend. We couldn't be more pleased with them!

I play a DYNASTY at DCA in 1999!

i heard stories from brass caption friends of mine about how they don't like the dy-nasty horns but that they were given a great deal or great financing or whatever. but they hate the horns.

maybe the DCI and DCA winners aren't playing regular horns, they're playing handpicked horns. of course they won't complain about them because they didn't have to pay much for them. <**>

i'm just sayin'...

the King's and Kanstul's are much better just a little more expensive.

i heard stories from brass caption friends of mine about how they don't like the dy-nasty horns but that they were given a great deal or great financing or whatever. but they hate the horns.

maybe the DCI and DCA winners aren't playing regular horns, they're playing handpicked horns. of course they won't complain about them because they didn't have to pay much for them. <**>

i'm just sayin'...

the King's and Kanstul's are much better just a little more expensive.

Stories are hearsay and hearsay is not admissible in court or here.

I'm going on experience - 43 years and counting. I've played Kanstul, King, and DYNASTY and you know what? They are all great horns. I seriously don't think that any of the horns is any better than the other. Like I've said I've played them all and I know a wee bit about horns. Just sayin'...

None of them has to be hand picked to perform and besides, who is going to go through all that nonsense? If a horn is defective, (and it occasionally happens from every maker in every industry), then they are fixed or replaced.

I don't know what the corps paid for their horns, it's none of my business, but the horns don't play themselves, so price has no consideration in how well they're played.

Reminds me of the old Ford vs Chevy debates years ago over which one was better and meanwhile, Petty in his Dodge was kicking butt. Moral: it's the driver/PLAYER!

Edited by Martybucs

If only that were applicable here.

Ironic you used the word "King" isn't it?

I played on a King Bb Trumpet for 2 years. It's projection in the upper register was horrid and the sound is too dark and dull, no color at all. However, I think this is just how marching horns are made in general. I've played on a Dynasty Bb, I didn't really like that other. I've played on Bach Strads and Olds models, and those still reign superior. As far as I'm concerned, marching horns are still bottom of the barrel and have a lot of catching up to do. Hence...

King of the dump still smells like ####

Edited by Einstein On The Beach

Based entirely on MY experiences, these are my top 3 favorites for each instrument:

Sopranos

1.) Bach

2.) Kanstul

3.) DEG

Mellos

1.) King

2.) Kanstul

3.) DEG

Baritone

1.) Olds

2.) Kanstul

3.) Yamaha