DCI/DCA Dynasty

Martybucs

Based entirely on MY experiences, these are my top 3 favorites for each instrument:

Sopranos

1.) Bach

2.) Kanstul

3.) DEG

Mellos

1.) King

2.) Kanstul

3.) DEG

Baritone

1.) Olds

2.) Kanstul

3.) Yamaha

Contra

1.) King

2.) Kanstul

3.) Olds

That's fair. I like most manufacturers horns. The Conn Vintage One flugelhorn is a delicious horn to play.

I like Kanstul horns, I like their cornets especially.

King, I never cared for, but I can't give a decent reason. If I had to play one I would. I did once when trying out trumpets about 20 years ago and I didn't like the way I sounded on it or the construction which, to me, didn't seem pro level.

I loved the old Olds Ultratone bugles. Don't know anything about the acquired brand name horns.

Bach, my favorite is the 37 lightweight bell in silverplate. However, I'm boycotting Selmer products for obvious reasons.

Yamaha, I use a Yamaha Mike Vax signature trumpet. Large, poly bore horn with heavyweight valve section. Nice sounding, easy to play horn. Great for the big band/jazz stuff I do. Not a durable horn though. I've had some repair issues with it.

That said, I've tried so many horns over the last 40+ years and I remember most of them and why I didn't buy them. They all have their unique personalities when blended with someone's playing style. However, none of them were really horrible and some were even intermediate horns.

Despite what someone with 10 or 15 years playing experience may tell you, overall, DEG makes a good horn. I know Weril makes them for DEG in Brazil, or at least they used to, but the design is DEG.

I have lots of horns and try to exercise them all occasionally. Sort of a hobby.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based entirely on MY experiences, these are my top 3 favorites for each instrument:

Sopranos

1.) Bach

Contra

1.) King

3.) Olds

Bach does not make a G soprano Bugle.

King and Olds no longer make G contra bugles.

Edited by camel lips

Well, I'm not sure how to describe DYNASTY Bb/F Bugles !!!!!

We bought 82 brass from them, brand new. About 50% of the instruments had tremondous manufacturing problem of consistency.

On the 14 mellophones, 7 can't reach the High C. Not the player, but the instruments. I play tested every single High brass. For the intonation issues, well, a mellophone still a mellophone!!!!

For the trumpet the problem was obvious since not a single trumpet played the same. We bought more then 30 trumpet. We had some light weight, heavy weight trumpet. We had some trumpet with a kind of #25 leadpipe and some other with a more constrictive blow. Some don't had any resistance at all. In fact, we order only one model, the .464" bore!!!!

After only 8 month of use, those instruments needs a lot of repair. Stickink valves, welding job. Lead pipe on the tubas who didn't hold in place. Suspiscious vibration in the instruments.

In general, those instruments don't seem to be made to play in ensemble. We had tremondous trouble to tune them. In 440 we had a great sound from the trumpet but we were unable to tune the tubas. In 444 we were able to tune the tubas but not the baritone. In 438 we were able to tune the baritone but not the trumpet!!!!!! Freaky!!!!

In fact, we have 48 instruments who are great. But for the rest ..........

The only thing I can complaint is the poor consistency of the instrument.

As I said to my player, if you can do it right once you can do it all the time. No excuse. They should follow that.I hope DYNASTY will be kind enough to came check our instrument and replace the instruments who have trouble.

More than 150 000$ is a big amount of money to have almost 50% of the instrument who didn't work as they should!!!!

Edited by QuebecSOP

Well, I'm not sure how to describe DYNASTY Bb/F Bugles !!!!!

We bought 82 brass from them, brand new. About 50% of the instruments had tremondous manufacturing problem of consistency.

On the 14 mellophones, 7 can't reach the High C. Not the player, but the instruments. I play tested every single High brass. For the intonation issues, well, a mellophone still a mellophone!!!!

For the trumpet the problem was obvious since not a single trumpet played the same. We bought more then 30 trumpet. We had some light weight, heavy weight trumpet. We had some trumpet with a kind of #25 leadpipe and some other with a more constrictive blow. Some don't had any resistance at all. In fact, we order only one model, the .464" bore!!!!

After only 8 month of use, those instruments needs a lot of repair. Stickink valves, welding job. Lead pipe on the tubas who didn't hold in place. Suspiscious vibration in the instruments.

In general, those instruments don't seem to be made to play in ensemble. We had tremondous trouble to tune them. In 440 we had a great sound from the trumpet but we were unable to tune the tubas. In 444 we were able to tune the tubas but not the baritone. In 438 we were able to tune the baritone but not the trumpet!!!!!! Freaky!!!!

In fact, we have 48 instruments who are great. But for the rest ..........

The only thing I can complaint is the poor consistency of the instrument.

As I said to my player, if you can do it right once you can do it all the time. No excuse. They should follow that.I hope DYNASTY will be kind enough to came check our instrument and replace the instruments who have trouble.

More than 150 000$ is a big amount of money to have almost 50% of the instrument who didn't work as they should!!!!

Has anyone contacted the company. I doubt they read this forum. I would be willing to bet that an agreement could be reached, if indeed, there were manufacturing defects.

So the world champions of drum corps, both DCA and DCI used DYNASTY horns.

Lots of people trash DEG on here and praise Kanstul and King as the best.

Kanstul and King are great horns, my argument has always been, so are Dynasty horns and it's the player that makes the difference.

Those of you that simply don't like DYNASTY probably will only say these corps were either lucky or that their victories are that much more impressive because they're using equipment you don't like.

In anycase, I'm pleased that my favorite G bugle is a DEG Dynasty.

I know, next comes the stories about how some one had to cut 3 inches from the tuning section of a DEG to get the horn in tune...

I can't comment on Dynasty's current crop of brass - in any key. All I know is that I tried to play a DEG 2V frenchie and it was the worst thing I ever played on. And I was considering the purchase of a used DEG 2V mello until I tried it out. It didn't slot anywhere. BUT I also had the opportunity to buy a used early model Kanstul mello and passed it by because of the design of the third valve plumbing - too many twists and turns for me. So I guess my point is that like any product, sometimes redesign is necessary.

They do make a G trumpet, though. :)

193.gif

This is the model 193 Bach soprano trumpet in the key of G. No lie.

Yep,,I actually bought one of those when I first got into DCA and thought it would be great.

Very stuffy horn.Not at all built for the outdoors.Great horn for classical music in a indoor setting.

ohh yeah,,and its a Trumpet.

B)

Guest Myusik4Jakassez
So the world champions of drum corps, both DCA and DCI used DYNASTY horns.

Lots of people trash DEG on here and praise Kanstul and King as the best.

Kanstul and King are great horns, my argument has always been, so are Dynasty horns and it's the player that makes the difference.

Those of you that simply don't like DYNASTY probably will only say these corps were either lucky or that their victories are that much more impressive because they're using equipment you don't like.

In anycase, I'm pleased that my favorite G bugle is a DEG Dynasty.

I know, next comes the stories about how some one had to cut 3 inches from the tuning section of a DEG to get the horn in tune...

If you're looking for a horn that plays well, there's nothing wrong with Dynasty. The reason why I hate them is because they're just a pain in the ### to use.

Perhaps it's just my own experience with a Dynasty baritone in my rookie year. I guess it wasn't so bad at first, but now I'm playing a Yamaha in my high school marching band, and it just feels WAY less awkward. The Dynasty's weight never felt like it was perfectly centered, it was always heaviest around the bell area which made keeping a good horn angle uncomfortable (especially since I just started learning brass after switching over from saxophone, aka i was actually HOLDING an instrument for the first time). On top of that, my tuning slide was always stuck (I'll admit I never broke into the habit of greasing often, but on the rare occasions when I did it still wouldn't budge). Maybe it was just because it was an old horn, I don't know. But now I always think of THAT horn when I hear "Dynasty".