Band vs Drum Corp

As I've said before, I'm not in favor for adding woodwinds because of I like the look and sound that all brass presents, but the idea isn't exactly like reinventing the wheel. What is the major opposition most people have? I've never really heard a concrete reason for most.

I'll give you my reason...

DCI = Brass, Percussion and Guard. Some people say change is inevitable and I say if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Besides, you'll end up with every bando on the planet thinking they can march drum corps. :doh:

Plus I really don't feel like hanging out on Marching Band Planet.

Edited by atlvalet

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll give you my reason...

DCI = Brass, Percussion and Guard. Some people say change is inevitable and I say if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Besides, you'll end up with every bando on the planet thinking they can march drum corps. :doh:

Now see, that is what I'm talking about. Your reason isn't a reason. If we are going to fight this, we must present better arguments than this.

I'm not sure what you mean by every "bando" thinking they can march drum corps. Can't just about any band member now march corps if they want to?

There's nothing I enjoyed more than watching a rookie come into Drum Corps straight from marching band and seeing how long it took until the shell shock wore off.

Now see, that is what I'm talking about. Your reason isn't a reason. If we are going to fight this, we must present better arguments than this.

I'm not sure what you mean by every "bando" thinking they can march drum corps. Can't just about any band member now march corps if they want to?

The bando thing was more a personal aside. But my belief is that drum corps at its heart is brass, percussion and guard. To change that is to change the soul of drum corps. Besides just being "wrong" (a la having baseballs in football) you're going to alienate a whole bunch of people. I could work on the eloquence of my argument, but it's not like I am making a presentation to the DCI Board of Directors.

And hey, what's your reason?

Edited by atlvalet

Can't just about any band member now march corps if they want to?

I have taught some bands where even some of the band members shouldn't have been in the band...but hey, when life gives you lemons...you make orange juice because it tastes better.

Edited by atlvalet

That demands exclusivity and keeping DC small, for if you were to grow to a general level of accessibility for the masses, many of the corps would be rather weak as people would still want to get that ‘it’ you mentioned. Your vision is to keep DC a small little club for the elite bandos -ignores so much of the ‘think of the kid’ matra and the overall experience that many push or hide behind on this forum

A common fallacy is that to grow drum corps it must become more like band. People have seen marching bands for many years, all those ESPN viewers already know what a marching band is, that stuff on the field during halftime when you go get a beer and use the washroom. People made their minds up about marching bands as a spectator sport years ago, including myself as I chose not to participate in any way with bands and general participation of viewers beyond high schoolers and their family is rare. I doubt the average ESPN / sports viewer will discern the difference between Drum Corps and band if DC adds woodwinds or electronics. I doubt the average ESPN viewer will be turned onto DC with quotes about Martha Graham. The more DC becomes like band, the less of a chance there will be to grow DC. People don’t really notice the difference in excellence generally displayed between bands and DC but they do notice the power of the brass. Water that down with wood winds, generic mind numbing and often pretentious narration and you got what we already have and what we already know won’t sell – marching band. The Ohio State band has more prominence and national exposure that all Drum Corps combine and it has little to do with marching and playing excellence (no slight to the OU band). Face it kids, Americans made up their mind about marching bands long ago – we like our fight song, when they spell out the school name, play ‘charge’ and occasionally the Budweiser song.

The future for Drum Corps is in its ability to distinguished itself from band (again, the level of excellence is not enough, more so when band are getting better) and sell itself as a different but similar product.

If drum corps adds electronic or woodwinds, a proud part of Americana will die, it will die without a whimper and leaving only a very minor footnote. Drum Corps is living history marching band is not.

Hi cowtown, thanks for responding to my post! Too often I'll drop my two cents and folks just overlook it. It would be great to get some dialogue going....

In my humble opinion, drum and bugle corps lost its place in "living history" when it stopped performing for things other than itself. The drum corps of yester-year, did what most high school bands and college bands do: perform for their community and perform for themselves. A high school band for instance participates in football games, supporting and representing the school, but they also compete on the weekends for themselves. Drum Corps (way before I marched) supported the community; VFW posts, American Legion, towns, churches, Boy Scout troops, etc. So, with that said, you can probably see why I feel the way I do about instruments. It has very little to do with what the activity stands for.

Modern drum corps still has a shot. One of the only corps I can think of that really stands out in terms of its support of the community is the 1996 Cadets performance at the Olympics. That was a great moment for the drum corps activity because even Billy the cashier at McDonalds probably saw it.

I feel that the "it" factor is really the best thing they have going right now.

Sorry if I'm not making sense, it is late and I just got home from a football game (where my band was supporting the school in the pouring rain) :)

As I've said before, I'm not in favor for adding woodwinds because of I like the look and sound that all brass presents, but the idea isn't exactly like reinventing the wheel. What is the major opposition most people have? I've never really heard a concrete reason for most.

My reasoning is that DC has always been an inspiration for me since I first joined at age 10. There was always a power and presence that still sends chills up my spine. Bands are fine, but they don't provide the same sound as DC. An analogy would be auto racing. All the cars have engines, they all have talented drivers, they all have the same goal. However there are Indy cars, NASCAR, and a host of other types. They are all good in their own right and have their own fans. Some that like only one style of racing and some who like more than one style. So my point is that if enough people want an independent marching band circuit that sits outside of school, fine, do it! I'm sure Mike D would be an outstanding president (until he decides that it should be more like drum corps :P ). But let the genre of drum corps live its own life, keep its fan base and evolve within its own world.

I mentioned in another thread that way, way, way back before the Civil War, drum corps had the instrumentation that was pretty much available to them. Sometimes fifes and bugles in the same corps. I'd give you an example, but then I'd have to look it up, I'm too tired.

Not surprisingly, MikeD, jumped on the word "fife" - in a good natured, ribbing sort of way. You know that MikeD! :P

In anycase, here is my response from that thread because I think it pertains here as well. IMO

What an incredible idea!!!!!!!!

A corps, a whole corps of nothing but fifes and drums!!!!!!!!!

What a concept!!!!!!!!!!!

Then what if, just if, now, they allowed, say, brass into the corps? Wouldn't that be much better? Huh?

I mean, I know the fife and drum corps seems like it may have traditional roots in the Revolutionary war period and that maybe they'd like to keep it exclusive and different....close to what it was.

But, hey! Just think how much more entertaining they would be with brass and more percussion!!!!!

And think how many more people would be marching if that were the case.

Oh no, that just seems ridiculous, doesn't it?

After all, then it wouldn't be a fife and drum corps anymore, would it?

"Long, Long time ago, I can still remember"..."the day that drum corps died"

Don't want that song ever to be written.

Too late?

Edited by Martybucs