Bluecoats hire Rick Subel

From the Bluecoats' Web site ...

Rick Subel to lead Bluecoats Color Guard Program!

(Canton, Ohio) - 9/19/2007

The Bluecoats are pleased to announce that Rick Subel has been named Color Guard Designer, Choreographer and Caption Head for the 2008 season. Rick brings a wealth of high school, winter guard and drum corps experience with him to the position.

Here's the link:

http://www.bluecoats.com/news_detail.asp?news_id=240

Being a Bluecoats alum, supporter and major "honk", but also a brass guy, I don't know much about this gentleman but would love to ...

anyone care to talk about him (nice things, hopefully!!)?

Here's hoping he improves and expands on what have been excellent "story-telling" guards, if not the best "guard work" guards.

Edited by BlueR36

Thats great! I wonder, though, why Jamie Oakley left.. ???

Rick did some awesome things while he was at Lassiter High School - winning WGI championships in 1996, 1997 and making finals in world class in 1998 and 1999 with some of the activities most memorable shows. I'll be looking forward to seeing what he brings to the Bluecoats!

This is a great pick-up for the Bluecoats.

After Lassiter, Rick went to Westfield HS, TX and became the colorguard director there from 2002-2004. They had a great guard program at Westfield which helped them to win their first Bands of America Grand National title in 2003. Rick was also on staff with the Phantom Regiment as well over the past couple of years.

Rick is a wonderfully talented and creative designer. Not a bad singer either.

I am sure he will do a great job.

Fred Ford

The Bluecoats are pleased to announce that Rick Subel has been named Color Guard Designer, Choreographer and Caption Head for the 2008 season. Rick brings a wealth of high school, winter guard and drum corps experience with him to the position.

Here's the link:

Being a Bluecoats alum, supporter and major "honk", but also a brass guy, I don't know much about this gentleman but would love to ...

Here's hoping he improves and expands on what have been excellent "story-telling" guards, if not the best "guard work" guards.

I saw from his bio that he'd been with Phantom as choreographer and designer (along with others) the last three years and SCV for two years before that.

Not sure if any of the other staff will be kept with him or if he'll bring in his own people.

Oakley left before tour started, during "spring training," I believe.

Oakley left before tour started, during "spring training," I believe.

last day of move-in.

I love Walter!!!

Here's the link:

Thats great! I wonder, though, why Jamie Oakley left.. ???

Rick did some awesome things while he was at Lassiter High School - winning WGI championships in 1996, 1997 and making finals in world class in 1998 and 1999 with some of the activities most memorable shows. I'll be looking forward to seeing what he brings to the Bluecoats!

Thanks for your positive support Will! While you are correct in your quote regarding placements for the Lassiter WG for those years, I can't take credit for things I didn't do. The Lassiter guard was under the direction of Barry Lloyd during those years. I was performing with the Emerald Marquis winterguard from '95-'99, and taught there in 2000. I was the director of the Lassiter CG from fall 2000- winter 2002. Thanks again for the support, though!

:) rick