Big News Affecting "Div II/III"

also one more thing...DCI would most likely go for the same sheets used for Div. I and "Open" (if approved). It would be easier for the judges to just use one sheet for each show.

But, given the developmental nature of II/III ("Open") I'm not sure they would want to go for this change.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK...last thing...I promise. This change, if adopted does more for the Div. IIIs than anything else. It gives them a much better recruiting position. These corps (now potentially in a very dominant position in II/III) are going to benefit greatly because from this change if adopted.

The proposal says nothing regarding any changes in the performance fee structure or finals week structure. The proposal is simply a couple of name changes.

1. II/III would now be "Open Class"

2. II/III prelims would now be "Open Class Quarterfinals."

I'm guessing at this, but I believe the BoD of DCI votes Yes on #1 and No on #2. They will want to keep the word Quarterfinals exclusive to their own cause.

Why would that matter to any of the Division I directors? The current Division II & III corps already have a World Championship Semifinals and Finals.

Wow, I haven't been caught up on the DCI news in days and look what happens.

Sounds like a good idea to me - considering the dwindling number of 2/3 corps this is a good move to raise the profile of this part of the activity and strengthen the support base.

Considering Div 2/3 are currently judged on the same sheets, it would simply just combine the rankings of current scores. I hope that DCI takes this and establishes back some of the regional prelim/final format shows that dissapeared a few years back.

Conbining Div 2 & 3 makes sense in the fact that this year's entire crop of Div 2 corps was less than (10). A half dozen competitors diminishes the idea of a "National" or "World" Championship.

As far as sheets and criteria reference, don't lose sight of Pepe Nataro who was a visionary! Smaller corps have no interest in beig compared to Top-12, yet being shown on a Div 1 scale as 50+ Points behind the Blue Devils. It offers NO opportunity for growth in the activity.

Leave the 2/3 sheets alone. Put 2 + 3 in the same division. Some great Div. 3 corps have paved the way of quality over quantity. Let's not throw that away to possibly find if (we) are 5. 10 or 50 points behind the Top-12 in the world!...because...

Once we find that we are not competitive, we have ANOTHER inactive and disbanded corps! I'd rather see (100) corps compete than (25) corps be told that they are competitive......and worth viewing!

As far as sheets and criteria reference, don't lose sight of Pepe Nataro who was a visionary! Smaller corps have no interest in beig compared to Top-12, yet being shown on a Div 1 scale as 50+ Points behind the Blue Devils. It offers NO opportunity for growth in the activity.

Leave the 2/3 sheets alone. Put 2 + 3 in the same division. Some great Div. 3 corps have paved the way of quality over quantity. Let's not throw that away to possibly find if (we) are 5. 10 or 50 points behind the Top-12 in the world!...because...

Once we find that we are not competitive, we have ANOTHER inactive and disbanded corps! I'd rather see (100) corps compete than (25) corps be told that they are competitive......and worth viewing!

It didn't affect us in the ye olden times. In the early days of A/A-60, the DCM corps judged on Open Class sheets. And we knew there was going to be a spread between ourselves and the big boys, but was not where our focus was. We concentrated on the spread between us and the other corps in our class, like the Blue Stars, Americanos, Coachmen and Northmen. We didn't even look at the Class A corps because they were a different class. We had sense to realize that while it may be nice to be competitive with the Glassmen or Quad Cities Knights, they weren't going to be competing in the A-60 prelims.

If anything, IIRC, most midwestern corps HATED D2/3 scoring.

I think it's got good potential. Yes it does now restrict several D3 corps from getting a medal come finals week. But There have been many D3 corps in recent years that have done very very well against the D2 corps. Did OC get 3rd overall in 06? or 05. Blue Stars have done it, I believe Raiders had done it, Revolution, etc. maybe they didn't actually all get 3rd over all, but they were for sure very close if not actually 3rd over all. Anywho, my point being with this proposal more "formerly D3" corps will probably be able to recruit better and while maybe not grow alot, but be able to recruit better players to their ranks, and thus we could see a 50 member corps taking first place over all because they were the best and the corps didn't lose great players due to the great players not wanting to be in a "D3" corps before they were there long enough to know it really never mattered in the first place.

Hopefully this made some sense at 130am, we'll see.

In WGI, isn't the difference between independent open and world class an age restriction? Am I right that the WGI Independent World class has no age limit?

Anyways, I like how the WGI class structure is set up and I would like to Drum corps adapt something similar to that. Keeping things simple and consitent is important. Many folks are into both WGI and DCI.

For percussion division in WGI, they age out normally just like DCI. Not sure about the guard portion of it.

You are miss reading the proposal. Quarterfinals is a "term" that Open class will use to describe it's opening round of championship competition to mirror what the World glass calls it's opening round of competition. As of now the lower divisions go through "Prelims/Semis/Finals". When this passes they will go through "Quarter/Semis/Finals" just like the upper division. The corps will not compete against each other. They still will be separate, just a terminology change.
I don't get that from the proposal. Division I (or whatever the directors decide to call it) and Open Class would each have their own Quarterfinals. As it states in the proposal, what is now known as Division II & III Prelims would now be known as Open Class Quarterfinals.

You guys are right. I stand corrected. I am actually going to go back and edit my first reply though to drive home one point to Gary Matczak (Gary, when you get a chance, see post #58).

Edited by dsb2007