Cadets 08

What you're saying is "I hate George Hopkins, I hate narration." You're just finding a different way to say it.

I certainly hate narration. I really hate poorly worded, amateurish narration. I most definitely do not hate George Hopkins.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't that why you're a band director? :)

Let me put this another way. It is my job to create ads for a living. That's what I am, an advertsing copywriter. I can't begin to tell you what horrible things happen to great ads when the Junior Marketing Assistant, Marketing Director, Chief Marketing Officer, and the Chief Marketing Officer's wife decide what should go into the ad. What you end up having is a disaster of an idea, barely able to survive without the aid of life support. My point is, unless the person is brilliant at whatever it is they're working on, they're only subtracting from the process.

Thank you, Captain Obvious. Yes, one of the joys of directing is letting someone else write the show, but doing some rearranging and tweaking of the music and visuals myself as the show evolves and seeing what works or does not work.

I'm with mistoffolies. . .just another way for you to state your dislike for all things Hopkins.

Let me put this another way. It is my job to create ads for a living. That's what I am, an advertsing copywriter. I can't begin to tell you what horrible things happen to great ads when the Junior Marketing Assistant, Marketing Director, Chief Marketing Officer, and the Chief Marketing Officer's wife decide what should go into the ad. What you end up having is a disaster of an idea, barely able to survive without the aid of life support. My point is, unless the person is brilliant at whatever it is they're working on, they're only subtracting from the process.

Because running a drum corps and creating a field show is exactly like designing an ad campaign?

Besides, if George Hopkins was "forcing" his design team and membership to use narration against their will, do you really think that the design geniuses over there at The Cadets would continue to work with him? Of course not, that's ridiculous.

What's ridiculous is the idea that unless the work environment is perfect, people would be exiting faster than animals filing off Noah's Ark. Plenty of people hate their bosses. Plenty of people hate the place they work. Yet many people work in environments like that. So, I don't buy your argument.

............you're kidding right?

No youre kidding me right?

What's ridiculous is the idea that unless the work environment is perfect, people would be exiting faster than animals filing off Noah's Ark. Plenty of people hate their bosses. Plenty of people hate the place they work. Yet many people work in environments like that. So, I don't buy your argument.

Sure, Jay Bocook couldn't find a great job arranging at PLENTY of other corps....Gino Cipriani couldn't find a great job being a caption head at PLENTY of other corps...etc. etc. for a good deal of Cadets staff members. If they wanted to leave there are plenty of corps around the country that would be eager to gobble them up.

But, in the real world it is not so easy to find another job so quickly in many fields. Those you are referring to could jump to just about any other corps they chose to if they were unhappy. So, I don't buy your argument.

So, anyway, back on topic (Ticheli and The Cadets) this is a wait and see for me depending on what pieces they choose to use.