The Rookie Shirt

Bob J

Any Crossmen remember the Jitbag shirt?

Oh man. I am ashamed to say that I started that back in 1979. How did you hear of it? Don't tell me that Ed made that part of history night.

Edited by sssidney

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK a quick correction, it couldn't have been a Crossmen shirt that year, they made finals in '81. Might have been Guardsmen. Maybe North Stars. My appologies to the 1981 Crossmen, you had an awesome show that year!

That "Rookie T-shirt" must have been pretty foul after 5 or 6 shows!!! But, look on the bright side. At least it wasn't "Rookie Skivvies." b**bs

That shirt was friggin' NASTY.

Starting at midseason, I could smell it while I was conducting the pre show warm up.

Back when I marched, our hornline had an odd tradition called “The Rookie Shirt”. We had a lot of rules regarding our uniforms. You did not wander around in partial uniform. You did not smoke or eat or drink in uniform (except water). You treated your uniform with respect, because in the old days, our corps did not have such nice uniforms (remember the jumpsuits?). And above all, you did not wear a tee shirt from another corps under your uniform. Not even if you marched there. Not even if they were the defending DCI champions.

Except for the Rookie Shirt.

The Rookie Shirt was special. A tee shirt was purchased from whichever unfortunate corps had finished 13th at DCI the previous year. This shirt became the Rookie Shirt, and at each show, a different rookie would take a turn wearing the Rookie Shirt. The Rookie Shirt was magic, because whoever was wearing the Rookie Shirt would not tic. They would march a perfect show. But the thing is, if you wash the Rookie Shirt, the magic will wash out, so the Rookie Shirt was never washed. It was born with the magic that comes from all the emotion of coming in 13th and not making finals. Then at each camp before the season, the vets would take turns wearing it “seasoning” it with their own magic, their dedication and experience. Between wearings it would be sealed in a plastic bag to keep it “fresh”, and to keep the magic in.

While it was an honor to wear the Rookie Shirt, as you can imagine, you wanted to wear it early in the season. Before the “magic” became unbearable. But since it was magic, and whoever wore it would not tic, the Rookie Shirt was always reserved for the worst marchers/players at the biggest shows. Honor or not, you did not want to wear the Rookie Shirt at nationals, for many reasons.

I think the Rookie Shirt was burned after each season. More likely it spontaneously combusted as soon as it was removed after finals.

What is your corps “Rookie Shirt” tradition?

BTW I wore a Guardsmen(?) shirt for the Casper Wyoming show in 1982. And I marched a perfect show.

OMG! I remember hearing this story!! One of my instructors told me about this and was completely grossed out. But I think it works. I bet if this tradition kept up, all those tics would be in very small numbers. :blink:

That shirt was friggin' NASTY.

Starting at midseason, I could smell it while I was conducting the pre show warm up.

Reminds me of something - in 03 we were all lined up in the tunnels at a regional (might have been Indy) and getting ready to come back on the field for retreat. I could literally smell at least one of the BAC people from across the tunnel - not knowing the story of the shirt I had just assumed they never washed the unis. I couldn't even imagine how filthy that shirt would be after only a few shows.

OK a quick correction, it couldn't have been a Crossmen shirt that year, they made finals in '81. Might have been Guardsmen. Maybe North Stars. My appologies to the 1981 Crossmen, you had an awesome show that year!

It was North Stars. I remember they sat in their star formation in the back stands during Finals.

... :sshh: ...

In Phantom Regiment in the 80's, we weren't allowed to wear other corps' shirts.

Oh the memories!!!

Edited by Imafrayedknot

In Phantom Regiment in the 80's, we weren't allowed to wear other corps' shirts. Also, the tradition for rookies was an initiation which ended with drinking "Phantom Blood" from a toilet plunger. The blood was a concoction of ingredients brought by each of the veterans. When I asked the member whom I sponsored this summer about this, she said that the tradition has evolved. They now drink from paper cups.

Oh the memories!!!

Would suck if a person was allergic to one of the ingredients.