K-90 3-valve conversion

Chester

If there is anyone out there that has used the conversion kit from Kanstul to convert a K-90 to a 3 valver, the guy i have working on mine has run into an issue. I guess the tube connecting the 3rd valve to the horn itself dosnet size up properly. How is this worked around?? and is there any way to save the Ab slide( original lead pipe assembly)

any help would be wonderful. Pictures would be great too..

thanks

nuthin but love

Edited by Chester

I can't believe you would want to mess with a K-90 and add a 3rd valve. Just my opinion, but I'd keep it as is. The Ab slide is cool.b**bs

Chester,

This is not a conversion for the K-90. While it can be MADE to fit it will not play all that well (in comparison to the original 2 banger) IMHO, because of the fact that the two sections are of differing bore sizes. This kit was created for converting OLDS ULTRATONE PISTON/ROTOR contras into three piston contras. The King K-90 uses the long-time standard king bore size of .687" whereas the Olds (and this kit) use a .656" bore. The horn play fine but might turn out to be quite stuffy and sharp. The tuning slide might have to be pulled out quite far, meaning that the overtones series will go a bit out of whack. The low range might end up nearly unplayable with any real volume. The tone might also be a bet less nice.

Please keep in mind that these things might all happen, might happen individually, or might not happen at all. It really depends on the skill of the repair tech that you took it to.

A short, tapered tube will have to be created to link up the two ends. It might have to be a complex bend due to alignment issues. Once this has been accomplished you might have an excellent horn, but please understand that this set of parts was not designed for this horn and you might end up with a horn you no longer love as much.

IF IF IF IF IF IF IF *whew!* IF you decide that you like the conversion I am very interested in buying your old K-90 parts from you. I don't have a lot of cash but if you end up interested in selling them to me I would be most obliged if you would send me a PM or an email through this site. Maybe we could work out a deal that would make us both happy.

Anyway, best of luck with this conversion. I hope that you end up with a great horn that you can use for many seasons!!

Regards,

Wade

Edited by Periphery