Bushwackers Announce 2008 Colorguard Caption Head

The Bushwackers are thrilled that Scott Marshman will be returning as Colorguard Caption Head in 2008. Scott has led The Bushwackers Colorguard to “Best Colorguard” titles at DCA Championships for the last two consecutive seasons.

Scott joined The Bushwackers in 1982, the first year of competition for the young drumcorps, and it was soon obvious that he was much more than just great performer. Young Scott developed as a performer, instructor, and writer at Bush in the years that followed, and we are very proud of what Scott has accomplished at Bush and with other organizations.

Scott Marshman was a member of the legendary Conquest Winter Guard, and he marched with Spirit of Atlanta. In addition to what he has done at Bushwackers and with other drumcorps, Scott has done amazing work with several high school bands and winter guards (most notably the Alter Ego Winter Guard), establishing himself as one of the top Colorguard writers and instructors in the country.

Besides being a great writer and instructor, one of Scott’s strengths is that people enjoy marching for him and working with him, and the staff that has worked with him to win two consecutive Best Colorguard titles will be returning to accomplish even more in 2008.

John and David Vega became known as “The Wonder Twins” when they joined The Bushwackers in 1997, and experienced Bushwacker guardmembers were amazed by the skills and abilities of the two high school students. John and David left The Bushwackers for a time to work with another New Jersey drumcorps, and when they returned to The Bushwackers in 2003, they had added writing and instructing to the list of things in which they excelled. John and David marched Alter Ego Winterguard of West New York, NJ - Emerald Marquis of Wakefield, MA and St. Ann's of Neponset, MA, and they have taught various high school bands and indoor colorguards in NJ including: Memorial High School, Nutley High School, and Marlboro High School.

John and David have worked with Scott Marshman almost constantly for more than 10 years, and this enables all three of them to “pool” their creativities and skills into a unified product.

Richard Beck Kim made an immediate impact with his skills in dance, art, equipment work, performance, and inspiration when he joined the Bushwacker Colorguard staff in 2006. Colorguard is part “hey…..look what I can do” and part “theater”, and Rich’s work has greatly enhanced both aspects of the Bush Colorguard.

Richard Kim attended The Boston Conservatory for dance and theatre and later received his BFA in Visual Art from Mason Gross School of the Arts, Rutgers University with a double major in painting and sculpture. He continued his education at Massachusetts College of Art where he received his MSAE in Art Education. Rich taught South Brunswick from 2000-2003 and won WGI Independent World medals with St Ann's from Neponset, Massachusetts and Blessed Sacrament from Cambridge, Massachusetts. He currently writes and is a technician for the award winning Pride and the Passion, King Philip High School Colorguard (MA), Sacred Heart Colorguard (MA), and East Brunswick High School Winterguard (NJ).

Stay tuned to http://www.bushwackers.org for more exciting announcements from The Bushwackers!! If you're interested in marching, checking it out, or even just getting some more information please fill out a membership form at http://www.bushwackers.org/member/

Edited by alexnielsen

THE BEST GUARD STAFF IN THE ACTIVITY!!!!

Love you guys ... you've taught me soooo much ... and, this old lady thought there wasn't much more to be taught to me, but ... you are all amazing .... congratulations to the Bushwackers and to the guard staff too for winning two consecutive guard trophies!!

xo

WAIT A MINUTE!!!

Two of my favorites - Margie Vitale and Rodney Thomas - aren't coming back?!

SCOTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WAIT A MINUTE!!!

Two of my favorites - Margie Vitale and Rodney Thomas - aren't coming back?!

SCOTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OF COURSE THEY ARE - the entire release must not have been posted.

But, Margie and Rodney were a HUGE part of our success from last season - and I am excited they will be returning in 2008.

OK, cool...I was a little worried for a minute.

Welcome back to Scott, John, David, Richie, Margie, and Rodney!!!

Scott has told me that the guard is preparing to out-do the last two years.

Bob,

I'm glad you asked about Margie and Rodney.

When you have won Best Guard two years in a row, you go into the third year feeling that being anything other than #1 is a step backwards. And, that is all about raising bars.

Cliches that are older than dirt tell us that you dance with the person who brought you to the dance, you don't change horses in mid-stream, and you don't try to fix something that isn't broken.

The staff who wrote and taught the champion Bush Guard will be putting their noses to the grindstone this year in an effort "out-do" what they have done in the past, and if you are not sure where you want to march in 2008, please go to www.Bushwackers.org for more information.

There is only one place to go if you want to march in the best guard in DCA, and I believe that place is Bushwackers.

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

... because we all should believe what websites tell us, right?.... hmmmm .... :satisfied:

anyway, Bushwackers have an incredible guard staff and they make the experience with the corps even better!

If you are aiming to improve on your skills, work hard, support each other as a team, and while doing all of that, HAVE FUN ... then YES. Bushwackers colorguard is the place to be!

B)