Now that it's "World/Open class"

Ageout cutoff extension  

217 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that in following in WGI's footsteps, DCI should also extend the age cutoff?

• Yes
    • No

Also, this is supposed to be a YOUTH activity, yes?

Many parents, mine included, are nervous about letting their teens go off touring with kids who are as old as 21. How would having people even older than that make those nervous parents feel?

I think raising the age limit would decrease the number of younger teens getting involved in the activity, which is what the YOUTH activity is really around for, isn't it?

Just my two cents.

Edited by Rarro

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WGI has no age limit at the World class level. If DCI did the same it would be.....DCA.

Agreed.

Just a thought:

For the most part, eliminating or raising the age limit is not going to help out the Open Class corps and the top World Class corps already turn away hundreds of potential members. So...how would this benefit the corps and WHO would it benefit?

I have a question that's OT, but... since Div II and III are now "Open Class"... does that mean the few Div II corps that are left will be competing against the Div IIIs?

I have a question that's OT, but... since Div II and III are now "Open Class"... does that mean the few Div II corps that are left will be competing against the Div IIIs?

To 'splain quickest -- Division 3 is no more. It has ceased to be! (cue Monty Python stuff)

At 21/22 most people are out of college and working in the *real world*. Teachers are about the only ones who have the summer off and could tour, and many are instructors.

Who can afford to do DCI at 25 if you aren't a teacher with a summer off?

DCA is weekend's only, which allows for people of all-ages to enjoy the activity and still have a family, career, school, etc.

I don't think raising the age limit in DCI is a good idea. Like someone else already mentioned.. it's already hard for parents to send their 15 year olds on tour with 21 year olds for all summer. It's a lot easier for a parent to join a DCA corps for a weekend of shows than a DCI tour for a full summer to watch over their child

At 21/22 most people are out of college and working in the *real world*. Teachers are about the only ones who have the summer off and could tour, and many are instructors.

DCA is weekend's only, which allows for people of all-ages to enjoy the activity and still have a family, career, school, etc.

I don't think raising the age limit in DCI is a good idea. Like someone else already mentioned.. it's already hard for parents to send their 15 year olds on tour with 21 year olds for all summer. It's a lot easier for a parent to join a DCA corps for a weekend of shows than a DCI tour for a full summer to watch over their child

Agreed!!!

There are some folks who never want to grow up and take financial responsibility for themselves. Now that government welfare is tougher to get, I guess they figure DCI will be their crutch. If that ever happens, my $$$ will go elsewhere.

My son aged out of the Cadets in 2007 after eight years as a marching member (all with Cadets - 2000-2007). Frankly, even if the upper age limit was extended, I don't think his body could take the "abuse" of marching a World Class DCI show any longer!

As for myself, as a marching member in the latter dinosaur era (1971-1975), the shows were not as hard on the body back then, but even after marching for two seasons after being married (along with my bride - we were 18-20), it was time to get on with "real life."

So - based on my personal experiences and those of my son - I would have to say that the junior corps age limit is good right where it is now.

To 'splain quickest -- Division 3 is no more. It has ceased to be! (cue Monty Python stuff)

I know that... I mean are the small 60 member corps going to have to compete against the full-size 135-150 member corps now?