Almost new Kanstal Contra Grande in G for sale

craigkdean

This Kanstul Kontra was purchased new in April 2007 :) and was used to perform with the Kingsmen Alumni Corps in Pasedena's Rose Bowl, DCI semi-finals. :) The horn is in perfect condition. :) I have 3 mouth pieces, 12, 18, 24. It comes with a case and custom made blanket to put it to bed. I also have a portable dolly to cart it around. I paid a little over $8000. :( Asking $6500. You pay for shipping or pick up from Lakewood, Ca. Ph. 562-413-6069.

Edited by craigkdean

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I AM A MEMBER OF THE HAWTHORNE CABALLERO ALUMNI,BUT MY BEST OFFER ON THE CONTRA WOULD BE 2500.OO LET ME KNOW?

You are not even close.

You are not even close.

Well, to be honest, you can get a brand new CC tuba for $6,500. And eventually play enough gigs to pay at least part of it off. With a G Contra, there's not that much market for it anymore. It's great horn, no doubt. But IMO the best you could do is $3,500 for the horn, and $1,000 for the case. And $50 for the dolly. And even that might be wanting too much.

You have to bear in mind that you're in competition with corps that buy entire lines of horns at a discount, then sell them at costs, or at a minimal loss. Not that many corps are buying G horns these days. And those that do aren't buying entire Contra lines of Kanstuls. So if a corps buys it, it's not going to match the make and model of existing equipment. And they probably got their new Contras for $2,500 to $5,000 each if you factor in the discount for buying an entire line or section of horns. Sucks don't it.

As much as I dislike doing drumcorps on Bb horns, at least you can resale them at a fair price. With a relatively short turnaround time. I paid $1,835 for my Kanstul G Euph. But hold little hope of getting $900 or more out of it, should I ever desire to sell it. But hey, it's my horn, I can account for almost every dent. Complete with year and location that it happened. Good Luck. If I won the lottery, I'd buy it for $5K or less.

• 2 weeks later...

You could donate the horn to CorpsVets and take the full $8000 as a charitable donation write-off!

Edited by bigken

This Kanstul Kontra was purchased new in April 2007 :) and was used to perform with the Kingsmen Alumni Corps in Pasedena's Rose Bowl, DCI semi-finals. :) The horn is in perfect condition. :) I have 3 mouth pieces, 12, 18, 24. It comes with a case and custom made blanket to put it to bed. I also have a portable dolly to cart it around. I paid a little over $8000. :( Asking $6500. You pay for shipping or pick up from Lakewood, Ca. Ph. 562-413-6069.

$4000? Mate, you are not even close to being in the ballpark. It is a steal (if as described) for $6500!