How Southwind came to be yellow and in Kentucky

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The red of the Southwind days of old, is still immortalized by the Baritones.

The section shorts are red.

In case anyone cares...

Wow thats really cool. I had no idea. I'm glad the members remember the "old" Southwind. Great story Pat. It was a good read. This has been truly sad news but I know we will see SW again!

Michael Wilson

SW mello '95-'97

PR '98

Great history lesson Pat, Perhaps a moment of brilliance for this media?

Some of my early drum corps days were spent following and supporting Southwind. Although I never marched there, I do remember meeting Dave Bryan at the SW Souvie trailer (in his yellow shirt and hand towel on his neck). He was the nicest guy and always recognized me at shows. I think thats him on the 99 & 00 shows yelling "Southwind!" during their semis performance both years.

As I understand it SW is taking the right steps to secure their future. I wish them only the best.

Great history lesson Pat, Perhaps a moment of brilliance for this media?

Some of my early drum corps days were spent following and supporting Southwind. Although I never marched there, I do remember meeting Dave Bryan at the SW Souvie trailer (in his yellow shirt and hand towel on his neck). He was the nicest guy and always recognized me at shows. I think thats him on the 99 & 00 shows yelling "Southwind!" during their semis performance both years.

As I understand it SW is taking the right steps to secure their future. I wish them only the best.

was that him right after the 2000 ballad release? ive always liked that yell.

incredible post, thank you.

I am never comfortable posting on this media, but I cautiously share this in hopes that perhaps folks will read this as it is intended: a little history for all us drum corps nuts and most importantly, a tribute to a great drum corps that I am certain will be back. I put a version of this on SW’s website a few years back. Slight edits aside, here it is again. (sorry in advance; it's a bit long).

How Southwind came to be yellow and in Kentucky

<snip>

Go S-Dub, red or yellow.

Patrick Seidling

Southwind 1998-2000

Pat,

Thank you for posting the "story behind the story."

You know, as Southwind's founder and original Executive Director, Southwind will always have a very special place in my heart. What you accomplished with the corps in 1999 and 2000 was nothing short of astonishing. I feel that the corps success in that period is respresentative of your dedication and leadership skill. The members, staff and volunteers responded to your positive , "never say die" management style with accomplishments at a level unprecedented in the corps' history. It broke my heart to see the disconnect develop between you and Dave Bryan, but Dave was blindly loyal to Scott in those days and that influenced him in a very negative way, IMHO. Honestly, Scott's influence over Dave was the primary reason that I decided to end my involvement with Southwind at the end of 1997. That is not to imply anything bad about Scott or Dave - the simple fact is that Scott and I have very different styles and views and my continued involvement could have been potentially counterproductive.

When I had to resign as director in 1982, due to a failing marraige and resulting relocation - Dave Bryan was the right man to take over the young organization. Likewise, when the organization had outgrown Dave's vision and desire in 1997, you were exactly the right man to take Southwind to new heights beginning with the corps reemergence in 1999. I have no doubt that Southwind would have continued on a steady climb upward had you seen your way clear to stay as director beyond 2000. One has to look no further than your success in leading Phantom Regiment back to the top tier to find evidence of your skill in maximizing the potential of a competitive drum and bugle corps.

You're a total class act, Pat, and I miss you leading a top drum corps. In fact, it was my plan to work for you on a volunteer basis at Regiment last year until you "disappeared" on me! :P :beer: If I can get my personal injury suit settled early in 2008, it's my desire to buy another entertainer coach (my girlfriend is totally into it!). I may call on you to help me select a nice one!

Thanks again for posting your Southwind story. I'm sure that few people (if anyone) here know most of the facts you disclosed. If you see this, PM me and let me know what you are up to and how to contact you!

Best Regards,

Michael D Terry

Woodstock, GA

Alabama Charioteers D&B Corps - Charter member 1971-1975, Percussion staff 1976

Imperial Guard D&B Corps, Evansville, IN - Percussion Staff 1979-1980

Southwind D&B Corps, Montgomery, AL - Founder/Executive Director 1980-1982

Memphis Blues Brass Band D&B Corps - Public Relations Director, Tour Staff 1982-1983

Southwind D&B Corps, Montgomery, AL - Management Consulant, Tour Staff, Driver 1989-1997

Cadets D&B Corps, Hackensack, NJ - Driver, Tour Staff, Transportation Coordinator (Buses) 1998-2004

Thank You, Pat, for taking the time to write your narrative. It is very informative, insightful, interesting. Since you couldn't include everything, I'd like to comment on one other aspect of the Madison-Southwind story. In the time period leading up to '97, a continuing source of frustration for many families/boosters of Madison was the fact that sons could march in the Madison organization but daughters could not. Certainly, this affected the spirit of volunteerism for some people. By bringing in Southwind, Madison provided a spot for women to march within the Madison organization. Most importantly, and as was noted by Pat in an early press release, it was never intended that Southwind was to be "Madison Lite." Southwind was to be a fully competitive Div 1 corps and if they beat the Scouts on occasion, so much the better.

Also, in this approximate time frame, Scott Stewart merged two local junior corps, the all-male Junior Scouts and the Capitolaires into what became Capital Sound. So, as Y2K dawned, Madison had a beginner/feeder corps in Capital Sound plus two Div 1 corps one of which would remain all male (Scouts) and one which would not (Southwind). Madison had all that plus money in the bank.

Note To Any Graduate Student In Business School: If you are looking for a topic for a paper, there is a nice little masters thesis or (quite possibly) a PhD dissertation buried in the topic "Madison Scouts, 1999-2003.

Also, in this approximate time frame, Scott Stewart merged two local junior corps, the all-male Junior Scouts and the Capitolaires into what became Capital Sound.

Don't forget about Keith Gee's big contribution to that happening!

And thanks Pat for the story of SW. Very enjoyable to read

and very informative.