1965 St. Pat's Dominates Hawthorne Individuals

Nancy,

I appreciate the article. I was fortunate to march St. Patrick's Cadets in those good years mid-sixties. We were an excellent NJ corps in a superior field which included BS, Garfield, and St. Lucy's. We were almost always a 4th place bridesmaid to these corps. Except once! Union City, NJ Sept. 1965 where we came in 2nd to St. Lucy's and actually beat BS and Garfield (who won the American Legion Nationals competition one month before!).

A major reason was our percussion section taught by the reknowned Bobby Thompson (who also taught the famed BS lines at the same time). We won drums handily that day, which got us into 2nd place. After St. Pat's disbanded, I marched BS and took alot of ribbing about the 1965 event. Ah, sweet memories. Thanks!

Nancy,

I appreciate the article. I was fortunate to march St. Patrick's Cadets in those good years mid-sixties. We were an excellent NJ corps in a superior field which included BS, Garfield, and St. Lucy's. We were almost always a 4th place bridesmaid to these corps. Except once! Union City, NJ Sept. 1965 where we came in 2nd to St. Lucy's and actually beat BS and Garfield (who won the American Legion Nationals competition one month before!).

A major reason was our percussion section taught by the reknowned Bobby Thompson (who also taught the famed BS lines at the same time). We won drums handily that day, which got us into 2nd place. After St. Pat's disbanded, I marched BS and took alot of ribbing about the 1965 event. Ah, sweet memories. Thanks!

Now, now Jim ... calm down ... Garfield was good in 65 but I think they got thumped handily by the Royal Airs at the 65 AL in Portland ... St. Pat's was always a pretty neat corps though ... between them, St. Raphael's, Bpt PAL, Vasella, Selden, Bracken and a few others, the "second tier" of the eastern corps was always interesting ... one by one though, the "guns" fell from time to time ... LOL ...

Hope all is well with you ...

Andy "rememberin' a good time in the 60's" Lisko

Now, now Jim ... calm down ... Garfield was good in 65 but I think they got thumped handily by the Royal Airs at the 65 AL in Portland ... St. Pat's was always a pretty neat corps though ... between them, St. Raphael's, Bpt PAL, Vasella, Selden, Bracken and a few others, the "second tier" of the eastern corps was always interesting ... one by one though, the "guns" fell from time to time ... LOL ...

Hope all is well with you ...

Andy "rememberin' a good time in the 60's" Lisko

You're right. A lot of good, quality, competitive corps then. Good memories. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Jim and I marched together in St Pat's drumline in the 60's. His recollection of the Union City show was one year off. We beat Sac and Garfield in 1964 not 1965 in Union City aided by a nice 2+point bulge in drumming execution. St Pat's beat Lucy's in 1965 at the OLPH Show one week after finishing in 5th at the Dream thanks to a nice 3 point bulge in drumming. St Pat's was indeed in that 2nd Tier of East Coast Corps which were always on the cusp of moving up to the top tier. Vasella, Bracken and St Raphael's were but a few of the great entertaining corps of that era in that tier.

St Pat's strength was always its drum line and was always either on top or close to it at the majority of shows. One the few occasions when they toppled one of the Jersey Kingpins - you could always trace it back to an exceptionally clean show. At the 64 Union City where the bulge was 2+ points - we marched 4 snares and they were only ticked twice on the sheets as I recall the drummiing judges were Fitzgerald and Flowers. Mr. T had two great lines in those days - St Pat's and Sac.

As can be attested by the indiviudal contests of that era - there was some of the best top tier talent in their brass line - just not enough of them - and certainly the drum line was top tier nationally.

Edited by coloradocorp