A Finals Week Change

What do you think?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Would you make the change?

• Yes
    • No; leave it alone

A major change for Thursday... what do you think?

Eliminate Open Class Prelims for Tuesday --

On Thursday, all corps go off in an open "prelim". This means that everyone competes, and everyone goes head to head on Thursday on the "World" sheets.

On Friday, Open class goes off in the morning, all corps, Open sheets. Top 12 advance.

On Friday night, all World corps go off 1 hour after the Open show. Top 12 advance. Semis & Quarters defined.

On Saturday, Open class Finals step off at noon, we all go have a cocktail, Marines, Open Champ, World top-12.

Thoughts?

Edited by drumcat

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I like it.

To make it work, some adjustments with the time might be necessary. For example, Open Finals might have to start earlier on Saturday, maybe 10:30 or 11 am to clear the stadium in time for World Finals. Maybe Fantastic 5 ticket holders should be given the option to stay. Maybe sell an "all-day Saturday ticket" for both and not make these folks leave either.

Maybe offer all-day tickets for the other days, too. Would have to sell individual tickets for all events to keep it affordable and meet the needs for everyone, though

On the plus side, all corps are given the opportunity to see how they stack up on Thursday Prelims.

On the down side, that makes for a very long day.

Since I love drum corps, I would not mind it, although the old bones do not like sitting too long these days. Give me a few minutes break here and there throughout the day and I would be there for every corps.

I would really like to read some pros and cons on this idea.

Another consideration is that the schedule has to conform to the needs of what is now the Quarterfinals cinecast on Thursday. You'd still want to have the top 15 or whatever they do now seeded into that time slot. At least with Lucas Oil's roof, you would no longer have to worry about a two-hour thunderstorm at 11am messing up the schedule for the rest of the day under your proposed system.

Another consideration is that the schedule has to conform to the needs of what is now the Quarterfinals cinecast on Thursday. You'd still want to have the top 15 or whatever they do now seeded into that time slot. At least with Lucas Oil's roof, you would no longer have to worry about a two-hour thunderstorm at 11am messing up the schedule for the rest of the day under your proposed system.

I don't think the schedule would change for the Cinecast -- just whoever needs to be added is added in front of them.

I am wondering how the "class" designations might be affected by a format such as this, for both semi-finals and finals and for the next year.

How many corps are you having compete in semi-finals?

If you had an "Open" class corps who came in 16th or 17th in the open Thursday pre-lims, that corps should then perfom in the "World" semifinals?

Should such corps be then classified with "World" corps for the following year?

And what happens with "Open" class semi-finals? You would have "World" corps competing for the "Open" Class title?

Then would such corps would be classed "Open" for the following year?

Or do you mean when you say "all" that after prelims everyone goes back to their original class for semi-finals and finals?

Thoughts on this?

I like the idea of 'open' class corps being able to advance into the 'world' class quarterfinals. Why not do this?

I don't like the idea of a 'world' corps possibly 'falling' into 'open' class finals.

I like the idea that every corps could still have an opportunity to perform as late as Thursday during finals week.

Something needs to be going on Wednesday though. I&E for starters.......maybe even 'open' quarterfinals?

I don't think the schedule would change for the Cinecast -- just whoever needs to be added is added in front of them.

I couldn't tell if you were thinking corps would be seeded into a performance order in Open Class prelims, but now it's clear that you agree that at least the top group would be seeded in. You might have to start pretty early in the morning, though, on Thursday. Traditionally, as you know, since the Cinecast started, anyway, they've had the long 90 minute "dinner" break just before the start of the cinecast. So if in the midwest, that break comes at 4:30 (?), you'd have to fit in everybody else first which, depending on how many corps were in for Open Class, could make for an early morning. That also becomes a really grueling and challenging day for the judges that day, who might be getting pretty numb by about 8:30pm if not much sooner.

I'm not strongly in favor of or opposed to your idea. I like the idea of shaking things up. I think championship week is way too predictable now. Not that I don't enjoy seeing most of the best corps go three times, but it's rare that there's much drama or real competitive purpose in having the quarters-semis-finals format they now have for World Class. Once you've heard the Thursday scores, you pretty much know how they're going to finish, with 2006 perhaps the only exception over the last ten years. I think a better step to shaking things up would be to have the best three DCI judges in each caption get to judge one show finals week, scores are kept secret until after finals, you still have the cutdowns but performance order for corps surviving the cut is seeded Friday and Saturday only in groups such as Top Six and Second Six, and each caption score of semi and finalist corps is averaged over the two or three nights they perform to smooth out any one judge who despite being among the best, still tries to have too much influence in one corps' placement. You'd get to finale, and nobody would know what was coming, as it was in 1988 when you could cut the suspense in the stadium with a knife. You wouldn't be able to give the Cinecast crowd any scoring closure, though, if you did this.

Edited by Peel Paint

Let me be a bit more specific. Thursday would be every open corps, then every world corps, in prior seeded order. The show would be an exhibition of sorts; all it would decide is Friday seeding for each class. No one falls in or out of class.

The 17 on the cinecast are the same, and there is no change to order because the open corps are there. They just go on before, on world sheets. The interesting part is that this would also seed Friday's Open show, based on world sheets.

I like the idea of 'open' class corps being able to advance into the 'world' class quarterfinals. Why not do this?

I don't like the idea of a 'world' corps possibly 'falling' into 'open' class finals.

I like the idea that every corps could still have an opportunity to perform as late as Thursday during finals week.

Something needs to be going on Wednesday though. I&E for starters.......maybe even 'open' quarterfinals?

I&E is unchanged, and would be all that happens Wednesday.