Hopkins and Cadets

After hearing the constant complaints the last 2 years regarding Cadets controversial shows, I had an idea and was wondering if it could work. I love the Cadets shows, although I agree there was a little too much talking during this years show.

It seems that Hopkins has a lot of ideas(some good, some not so good-my opinion). It also seems like he has had trouble getting some of them passed with the rest of DCI. So my idea-what if

For 2 years, instead of being in competition, Cadets went on to be an exhibition corps only. That way, Hopkins could try some of the things he really wanted to do, and he wouldn't have to worry about how the judges/fans would react. They could go on after the last competing corps, that way the people who really didn't want to see them, could leave prior to their performance, not ruining it for the people who really would love to see them. Members of the Cadets would know going into the season, they wouldn't be able to win a championship ring, so the members who would be there would really be wanting to perform that type of show(whatever type Hop comes up with).

I am sure they wouldn't receive the normal fees for performances that World Class corps would recieve, but if there were enough supporters they would make it up in souvie sales. Then whenever they wanted to go back into the real competing world of DCI, they would be eligible to go back to World Class status. During the week of finals they could also perform in exhibition after the quarters, semis, and finals, and possibly even after Open Class finals.

Thoughts?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wouldnt work. i know thats a vague answer, but there's just so much that can be said

I would go one step further if I was in charge of the Cadets. I wouldn't waste my time at a DCI event. I would take my show on the road as a Blast type tour, but on the actual football field. There would be NO rules as to what he could do and the paying audience would get almost a two hour show out of it, and an extremely high quality one at that. There would be alot more kids to aquire as he could recruit overage and he could also use any and all props he wanted. I know I would go to see it, more than once. And by Blasts success, I think there would be more than me going. Go for it George. Drum corps is on its slow death bed, be the envelope pusher.

Wasn't this option discussed a few years back? I thought Hoppy himself had that idea and either mentioned it in his blog or proposed it to DCI in one of the earlier attempts at getting some of the changes considered. I believe a lot of the issues people are bringing up here ended the discussion of this option pretty quickly.

Point taken, how about before the show, instead of the Marine Drum Corps?

Heresy!

PS: We haven't had a new Hopkins thread in a week or so. I was beginning to be concerned we had lost our edge.

Edited by Michael Boo

I would LOVE for the Cadets to leave DCI for one year and strike out as a performance unit. If the Cadets were to be successful in selling tickets to their own production, this would reveal that their show designers are indeed on the right path utilizing Poems and the Mad Hatter. The paying audience would be their gage.

But if the Cadets failed to nab an audience, perhaps this would prove once and for all that a production utilizing Horns, Drums and Guard accompanied by electric guitars, singing or amplified tone poems is a miss.

Perhaps it would be revealed that the art or Drum Corps is a unique experience and should be left to its purest form where the human body is uniquely responsible for the amount of sound we hear or the quality of performance given.