The Visual Book

DCP Visual Method Book  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Should the members of DCP collaborate to create a visual method book?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does anyone here have access to one of the "manuals" that thier corps or a corps they know provides? i'm curious about how they present thier specific marching technique

Someone previously mentioned the Colts book. I found it on their website.

The dilemma's people are bringing up are exactly why judging DCI is so difficult, because it's rather hard to compare two groups who aren't even trying to achieve the same things. You could try and find out what is common between different marching styles and fundamentals and create some sort of guide for creating your own marching style. Example: I'm pretty sure everyone in DCI articulates reasonably sized forward steps with a straight leg, or at least attempts to regardless of what happens during the rest of the subdivision. I'm sure there's posture, horn carriage, and breathing fundamentals that are common between groups. So if you aim to make a collection of the musts of every marching style, instead of the all inclusive encyclopedia of every marching fundamental ever, then you may have some more luck.

I'm pretty sure a lot of groups have some sort of "this is how we do things" packet, whether it's online or comes with the audition materials, or whatever.

I think this whole thing would be very cool, but ultimitely be somewhat impracticle. This activity (marching as a whole) has grown soo much over the years, and thats because of different people's ideas and thoughts. That being said, ideas and thoughts are things that change all the time. It would incredibly hard to make a book with enough information and ideas to span a long period of time in an activity that is constantly changing. Every years someone brings something new to the table to look and think about. After all of the months and months and possibly even years of researching and publishing, some of the information may even be, for lack of a better term, "out dated" almost. Not trying to down the idea, because it is something i think would be a blast to try and create, but it would just be incredibly hard, imo.

so... being a Drum Corp. fan and not having any real background in the activity i would love to see this. It has been said above that such books already exist for certian corps. WHERE CAN I FIND THEM?????

anyone know?

thanx

It has been said above that such books already exist for certian corps. WHERE CAN I FIND THEM?????

Um, I posted a link to the Colts' book a few posts up. :lol:

well first things first....stepping off with your right foot is a must, right=right left=wrong :P can that go in the guide to universal marching?

i'd imagine most corps don't want their techniques plastered all over the internet.. styles and traditions unique to certain corps, although not a huge secret, are things that many organizations would like to keep on the DL as far as their philosophy and approach...

I had staff that marched: Star of Indiana, Blue Devils, and Phantom Regiment., and I'll be the first to admit that I incorporate everything I learned about each of those styles when I teach. I use a compilation of maxims and explanations to help people achieve. When one explanation doesn't work for a student, then another might.

Basically, I take whatever works from anywhere I can find it. I highly recommend taking a look at the Colts visual book, as mentioned before, it is does a great job of explaining the fundamentals of marching. Most of the things in that manual are pretty universal. Also, though I'm the first to admit that I don't know everything, it is the only manual I have ever come across.