Kevin Nix

Not to mention the fact that even though Michael wrote the drill for a few years, by the time finals rolled around each summer the final product being performed was hardly what was originally written by Michael, as it had been re-written by the Spirit staff on the fly.

To my knowledges, nothing was ever adjusted withour consulting Mike Gaines first....it is my understanding that these adjustments were sometimes at the direction of Mike Gaines.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What he said...

Spirit having their own drill writer just makes sense. I thought the change last year was very evident

in what was on the field. One might say "they still finished 12th" Yes they did in one of the most competitive

years in modern history. I am anxious to see what K. Nix will add to the mix visually.

Also, for those connected and "in-the-know", should we expect another big announcement soon?

Like before T-giving?

I agree in spades. I thought Spirit's drill this past summer was a significant improvement as compared to the past couple of years. The move was a good one.

I don't think your post disrespected Michael Gaines in any way. My post was simply to say that, I'd guess ALL corps modify their drill on-the-run, as judges give them input. Throughout the season the ENTIRE program is a work in progress, no matter who writes your drill or horn and percussion books.

I bet even the Cavies modify theirs during the season, with Gaines' input. And I agree that, history won't hold the work he did for Spirit in the same regard as what he did for the Cavaliers - for many reasons, not just his work.

In my opinion, this isn't disrespectful to him in any way.

Willyc...I'm well aware of the fact that every drum corps changes their drill along the way. I've got many years of marching and staffing under my belt...all with Spirit.

However, when you have your own drill designer on the road and in house giving you their full attention, re-writes and adjustments on the road are much more efficient than if you have to consult someone over the phone or whatever. And of course there's the issue of interpretation...if the designer isn't present to oversee the interpretation and implementation of his work, you can assume that it will be somewhat different than what was intended. Another poster has chimed in and stated that Gaines was always consulted about changes, but from talking to other staff members and corps members in years past, that is not the impression that I got. But, it doesn't matter who's correct. Consulting on re-writes from afar and having them made by a designer on the road is a significant difference, and one that will certainly be a major positive change for Spirit.

Like oldsoprano said, I'm not dissing Gaines and his drill and I certainly don't mean any disrespect. The arrangement between him and Spirit worked for them for quite a while. But this recent (or not so recent in the case of drill design) staffing change will be a great move, IMHO.

Edited by ssorrell

Steve,

I don't believe that Chad Hannah spent much time on the road with Spirit last summer.

I stand to be corrected, but I'm pretty sure that if he was out, it wasn't a whole lot. I don't know what kind of on-site involvement Spirit got from Gaines (I would imagine not too much) so it's difficult to make your point without knowing the up-close-and-personal time each spent with Spirit. Likely more with Hannah than Gaines, simply because, as oldsoprano said, the Cavaliers are his bread and butter.

I agree with the general point you make, but don't know whether it applies in Spirit's case for last year.

willyc

it isnt hard to beat the amount of time Gaines was out with us due to the fact that (at least in 06) im not sure he ever even saw the show live.

we never got direct help from him because he was busy with the cavies but Chad was able to be with us at least every couple of weeks.