Expanding Theatre Broadcast

In todays in box was an ad from the New York Metropolitan Opera about their theatre broadcast.

I knew they and others were using the live theatre broadcast like DCI does. What caught my eye was that the MET's boadcast are available in Canada and Europe.

Several of you Canadian friends have stated you wish it was availble there.

I hope DCI can expand to these other markets, perhaps using the same theatre companies.Met Theatre Broadcast

Edited by shawn craig

All I know is they have the list of countries and links to the theatres for those countries.

They have a list of countries. If you click on a country or region from their list it gives the theatres its available at.

Countirs the MET is showing in

Canada; Atlantic Provinces

Thought it would be something for DCI to investigate.

Edited by shawn craig

Well I guess that the market in Europe is marginal due to the amount of folks involved in drumcorps. Another point could be the time difference.(6-8 hrs ahead) so if your evening show would start at 7 pm it would be 2 am in most of europe, maybe not the most attractive time to go to the movie theater. I guess the ones interested go for the platinum membership and watch the web cast in the middle of the night.

How is it that Platinum membership isn't available outside the US? Are you sure?

No, we're talking about the cinecast here. Platinum membership webcasts would play fine in Europe or anywhere else where the web wasn't censored, as long as the pipeline could handle it without choking. Europe and I think Japan too has a higher market penetration of high-speed Internet than the US has, but I suppose transoceanic signal lag could still bollox it up.

Well I guess that the market in Europe is marginal due to the amount of folks involved in drumcorps. Another point could be the time difference.(6-8 hrs ahead) so if your evening show would start at 7 pm it would be 2 am in most of europe, maybe not the most attractive time to go to the movie theater. I guess the ones interested go for the platinum membership and watch the web cast in the middle of the night.

Yeah, trying to sell enough tickets to interest theaters means cinecasts in Europe probably wouldn't work live because of time zone contstraints (the middle of the night, on a weekday, yet). And if you tried to time delay the cinecast of Thursday Quaterfinals until Friday evening in Europe, it would slightly overlap the Friday Semifinals webcast. I don't see this working, either, financially.

Edited by Peel Paint