Dynasty SuperMag Contras

ContraBuddy

Hi guys,

Does anyone have any good pics of a 4V SuperMag that they could post in a reply? I'm considering buying one, but I've never played one and really don't remember what they look like.

Also, just for discussion, which sounds like a better deal: a 3V K-90 for $1750- or a 4V SuperMag for $2K? Personally, as much as I like the K-90 (I've got one of BD's original 8), I think $1750 is a bit pricey even for a 3V.

I'm also a little concerned about the lead-pipe being moved towards the back with the 3V conversion. I'm not in the same shape I was when I first started marching, and a front-heavy K-90 would NOT be fun during a long, hot parade!

Thanks,

Bill Achee

I don't have pics, but given the K-90 and Contra terminology, I assume you're referencing the G version. $1,750 is a bit much for a K-90, but the 3V conversion kit alone is $1,000 of that amount. At least that's my understanding.

The super mag is a nice horn. there are probably better playing horns. And lighter horns for parades. But it's still one of the best ones all around. As long as you don't mind being blind to the left.

Hi guys,

Does anyone have any good pics of a 4V SuperMag that they could post in a reply? I'm considering buying one, but I've never played one and really don't remember what they look like.

Also, just for discussion, which sounds like a better deal: a 3V K-90 for $1750- or a 4V SuperMag for $2K? Personally, as much as I like the K-90 (I've got one of BD's original 8), I think $1750 is a bit pricey even for a 3V.

I'm also a little concerned about the lead-pipe being moved towards the back with the 3V conversion. I'm not in the same shape I was when I first started marching, and a front-heavy K-90 would NOT be fun during a long, hot parade!

Thanks,

Bill Achee

Here are a couple pics for comparison - DEG 4V SuperMag, 2V K-90, and Deg 2V Dynasty II

3contrashz8eb.jpg3contrasvt7ll.jpg

And here's the "Glamour Shot" from Dynasty. Mine doesn't have quite the same tube routing that this one does...I don't know which one came first. I like on mine that there is a "bump out" in the tubing right where you carry it - an integrated handle if you will. There's also a nice thick plate right where it hits your shoulder. The balance is perfect on the horn - once you get used to it, you can find yourself standing with the horn in playing position with your arms down at your side. As Shadow mentioned, don't plan on seeing anything to your left. Your right hand on the valves is so close to your head/eye, that you can scratch your forehead while playing - I have to watch the bill of whatever hat I might be wearing to make sure that it doesn't interfere with the 1st valve while playing. I've played on a Kanstul 3V Contra Grande, and I have to say that I prefer the DEG over it. The Willson valves are incredible - I love the oversize buttons, cushioned bottoms (no percussion accompaniment while playing). The horn is designed to be marched with, and mine has taken plenty of abuse.

DEG4VContra.jpg

I don't know too much about the conversions - I've heard that the quality comes down more to who did the work. Supposedly the conversion kits need some flaring to match the bore of the K-90 or something, as they weren't designed for that...One of the guys local to me ended up with the 2V cluster off a K-90 when someone else converted theirs to 3V, he had his horn and another one converted to 3V, and he's pretty happy, but there was quite a bit of custom rebuilding that went into that. My recommendatin would be, keep the K-90 you already have, use that in parades (or at least the longer ones), and get the DEG SuperMag for serious performances. For the extra $250, you're getting a 4V horn vs. 3V, and you're getting a horn that was factory built as such. The bore is bigger, the balance is better, and the valves are nicer.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies, info & pics.

Seeing the pics helped alot. I remember seeing corps on the field with them, and they sounded pretty good.

I'd really like a 3V K-90, but not enough to pay more than maybe $1400 (including shipping). For awhile, I'd thought about getting my K-90 overhauled, replated and converted to 3V, but the one I have is either the 2nd or 3rd K-90 to come off the production line and has been confirmed as one of the first 8 that BD bought. To me, it's a piece of history and really shouldn't be 'modified'. So, unless something better comes along, I'll try getting one of Pioneer's 4V SuperMags.

Now, goes anyone know what shape Pioneer's contras are in? I've looked at their website, but haven't yet found any pics that really show the contras clearly.

Also, if anyone has a big 5/4 size, 3 or 4 valve G contra to sell, please let me know.

Take Care,

Bill

Man those pictures of the 3 horns could have come from our Corps. We have the same basic setup, but we have 2 Super Mags, a K-90 (still just 2 valve) and 2 smaller 2 valves (we only use one of these as we only have 4 players.)

Since I am not a Contra player I can't comment too much on long parades, but those Super Mags are HEAVY! They have an awesome sound, very full. Definitely a better sound then our small 2 Valvers.

Best way to find out about the condition of the Pioneer horns is too call them. They will be in the best position to tell you what the horns are like now.

If we had the money we would be buying more Super Mags but we just don't have that kind of cash right now.

... I'd thought about getting my K-90 overhauled, replated and converted to 3V, but the one I have is either the 2nd or 3rd K-90 to come off the production line and has been confirmed as one of the first 8 that BD bought. To me, it's a piece of history and really shouldn't be 'modified'.

Take Care,

Bill

I am also a 2v bugle collector, and you are so right. I have been watching ebay for probably 7 or 8 years for 2-valve King horns, and they are few and far between, and they get huge responses when one does come on the market. I have seen exactly TWO K-90's in that time, and I'm thinking they both sold for around $2,000.

Enjoy that piece of history you have, because having an original 2v K-90 is better than a 3v, and I think having "BD" on it makes it even more valuable.

I am also a 2v bugle collector, and you are so right. I have been watching ebay for probably 7 or 8 years for 2-valve King horns, and they are few and far between, and they get huge responses when one does come on the market. I have seen exactly TWO K-90's in that time, and I'm thinking they both sold for around $2,000.

Enjoy that piece of history you have, because having an original 2v K-90 is better than a 3v, and I think having "BD" on it makes it even more valuable.

I agree with you.

Sure, it's really just being 'sentimental', and in some ways, it doesn't even make any sense. Most ppl would think of it as 'just' another contra. When it was made, who it was made for and who used it when... Well, it's not having a "BD orginal 8 K-90" has led to ppl knocking on my door offering me everything from new, still-in-the-plastic-wrap Kanstul Contra Grande's to their first-born sons for my K-90. But, to me, knowing that horn's history gives me both a good feeling and a sense that I have a piece of drum corps history that most other ppl will never have. But, it's also a little disconcerting to think that my contra has been in more World Championships than I have!

Bill

Edited by ContraBuddy

I'd really like a 3V K-90, but not enough to pay more than maybe $1400 (including shipping). For awhile, I'd thought about getting my K-90 overhauled, replated and converted to 3V, but the one I have is either the 2nd or 3rd K-90 to come off the production line and has been confirmed as one of the first 8 that BD bought. To me, it's a piece of history and really shouldn't be 'modified'. So, unless something better comes along, I'll try getting one of Pioneer's 4V SuperMags.

Now, goes anyone know what shape Pioneer's contras are in? I've looked at their website, but haven't yet found any pics that really show the contras clearly.

Also, if anyone has a big 5/4 size, 3 or 4 valve G contra to sell, please let me know.

Take Care,

Bill

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the horns listed by Pioneer were gone, like the next day after they were posted. They went to a field band in Africa.

Some added info..

As mentioned the "conversion kit" for the k-90 isnt really made for it.. its made for the Olds ultra tone Piston/rotor horns. I ended up scraping my plans to convert my K-90 and just get it cleaned up becasue of the risk of screwing up the tone quality inherent in fooling with the bore sizes..

there is a way to do it i hear without those problems, using spare K-90 parts, and new tubing, but that entails getting those parts.( somthing i may look into in the future)

Also, the Dynasty/DEG horns are no longer made by Wilson. As a dealer, I learned a year or so ago that those are now made by Weril in Brazil, like the rest of the Dynasty brass.

I have had mixed experiences with the DEG horns over the years, generally actually liking the older ones a bit better.

just a bit of info i have picked up along the way.

Hi Guys,

I'd really like a 3V K-90, but not enough to pay more than maybe $1400 (including shipping).

Take Care,

Bill

Bill,

Check out the Spartans web site. They are selling their G horns and have 8 - 3V Kanstuls. They are asking $1,400.00.

I don't know how many they have left.