Pan's Labyrinth

I watched the clip, and while the music is nice but the first thing to come to mind was that there were a lot of people on that field. Kudos to the instructional staff on being able to handle that many members. I also thought the ending was quite nice.

I can't always get into marching bands either, but then I saw clips of some of the Japanese units and I was blown away - the Nishihara high school from Okinawa has done some amazing things (apparently the instructor/teacher/director was a member of Cavies '96).

I know its done indoors, but boy can they march and play. The average age of the members is also 15/16.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I read this thread a couple days ago but decided not to comment just yet. But since it's still around...just a funny observation that OP has one corps in their screen name and another in their avatar and is now pimpin' out their allegiance to the first corps that performs a certain work...does anybody else see this as somewhat ironic???

Haven't seen the movie yet, but previews sure looked cool...glad to hear that the music is...appreciable?? Looks like somebody is sold on it!

I just love drum corps. :P

~>conner

I was at Finals this past weekend and will add my two cents.

I'm a big homer of both Avon and L.D. Bell and so that's my 'baggage' coming into this . . .

L.D. Bell's shows in recent years aren't necessarily something you can watch on a computer monitor or TV and fully "get".

Having shown the "stream" to a few people since getting back they were pretty critical of the show.

I've made the statement several times that Bell's shows aren't "marching band", they're "emotional experiences" and that was very true this year.

If you were in the stands for that show you couldn't help but be completely wrapped up in it. You didn't care that the girl sang a ton, that the band didn't play as much because of it, you just sat there and watched it unfold.

Seeing high school kids (and that many of them) on a field "performing" at that level is really amazing. The hardest thing I have ever tried to teach my kids isn't marching at insane tempos or having a great ens sound. It's getting them to be able to "perform" in a theatrical manner. To think on their own and act instead of "march". To see an entire band of kids that can sell a show like that it what I really appreciate.

With all that said, I also absolutely loved seeing Avon that night as well. I had a chance to hear their winds play earlier in the week and I can honestly say that I would pay money to hear that ens play, they're that good.

and . . . after all that, it's like Apples to Oranges and yes, that is the direction that marching band is quickly being hastened. Theatrical. It's a debate like any other but if it's watching L.D. Bell or a high school that puts three 70's rock tunes and a ballad on the field, I know which one I'm choosing.

It's about entertaining and who can perform at the highest level while doing it. L.D. Bell entertained and did it while performing at a very high level.