Pan's Labyrinth

Was that an awesome movie or what?!!!

It's funny, one drum corps weekend, we all sat around watching it after a parade or something.

Your right, the music is cool, perfect for the movie!!!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

too bad to most drum corps is marching band

and a question

Drum corps are marching bands, absolutely (as in, they are a band of marching musicians). I hate Marching Band, though (if my capitalization makes it clear enough). Sorry, the instrumentation just doesn't work on a field for me. I like the unified timbre that a DCI hornline gives you. If I want an orchestra/wind ensemble, I'll listen to an orchestra/wind ensemble.

You mean like marimbas and xylophones? :P

Sorry, should've clarified. Meant amplified pianos/electronic keyboards. They irritate me when I hear them in a marching show.

Edited by TSRTS13

Hmm.

IMO, way too little ensemble playing (just a personal gripe I always have with BOA shows like this), and ...while I thought "Pan's Labyrinth" was a pretty amazing movie, the main theme is a little too repetitive and reaches into the nebulous "this is designed to be thought-provoking" grab bag a bit.

However, points for trying something new...although the end kinda reminds me of a nightmarish cross of Suncoast 88 (primary color faceless peeps), Crossmen 94 (kids as a theme) and SCV 1989 (where'd everybody go? :P ).

It's well designed for a BOA show, though...it certainly had some nice moments.

I can see how it won...and if someone took this on in the right context thematically in a drum corps show...maybe Carolina Crown or perhaps even the Glassmen....it could be one hell of a corps show. :)

I know nothing about BOA this year, but love the music from the movie. I could easily see a corps turning at least portions of it into a show. Would definitely prefer if it were either Regiment or SCV, but could see BK or Glassmen doing well with it.

Whoever plays it is going to need a very rich and dark sound.

I know some of you will not like me saying this, but that is not a safe enough choice for Phantom (and probably not for Glassmen). BK and SCV go out on a limb often with their rep, so I could see them doing this, and pulling it off in style.

I'm not saying LD Bell should have won (did anyone see Avon? Holy cow.) but the portion of the show where the woodwinds are in two circles in the front, and the brass is forming an arc to the side (about 5 minutes into the show)

That hit is just awesome... The rest of the show is very well designed, but I didn't like the majority of it nearly as much as Avon, however I can totally see that one moment of the show winning it for them. It was easily the best moment of the entire season.

~>conner

Hmm.

IMO, way too little ensemble playing (just a personal gripe I always have with BOA shows like this), and ...while I thought "Pan's Labyrinth" was a pretty amazing movie, the main theme is a little too repetitive and reaches into the nebulous "this is designed to be thought-provoking" grab bag a bit.

However, points for trying something new...although the end kinda reminds me of a nightmarish cross of Suncoast 88 (primary color faceless peeps), Crossmen 94 (kids as a theme) and SCV 1989 (where'd everybody go? :P ).

It's well designed for a BOA show, though...it certainly had some nice moments.

I can see how it won...and if someone took this on in the right context thematically in a drum corps show...maybe Carolina Crown or perhaps even the Glassmen....it could be one hell of a corps show. :)

it definitely adds to their ensemble sound if they're not busting chops all nite...but what kinda approach is that? a bit safe, egh?

i still can't think of this new age stuff as marching band

it ain't right and i will not have it! lol

I read this thread a couple days ago but decided not to comment just yet. But since it's still around...just a funny observation that OP has one corps in their screen name and another in their avatar and is now pimpin' out their allegiance to the first corps that performs a certain work...does anybody else see this as somewhat ironic???

Haven't seen the movie yet, but previews sure looked cool...glad to hear that the music is...appreciable?? Looks like somebody is sold on it!