Trumpet Range?

Discombobulato

I agree with the mental attitude mentioned by the last two posters.

I have frequently been the victim of my "mind monkeys", when asked to perform at the edge of my range. I'm fearless up to a double G, but anything above, I have to convince myself I can do it. Usually, this happens by tryong not to think about it.

At home, while practicing, I frequently play above double C, with not that much effort. In performance reality, I don't own those notes, so they're always iffy for me.

Even having a solid double G on the trumpet is enough though. I play in a working jazz/dance band and as was said, having that range makes everything you play easier, even after 3-4 hours of straight playing.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you on the mental thing, up to grand C im fine, but anything higher, I have to either really try to get it or tell myself just go for iti and hope ou get there. my highest note ever is double E. not bad for a 17 year old.

I agree with the mental attitude mentioned by the last two posters.

I have frequently been the victim of my "mind monkeys", when asked to perform at the edge of my range. I'm fearless up to a double G, but anything above, I have to convince myself I can do it. Usually, this happens by tryong not to think about it.

At home, while practicing, I frequently play above double C, with not that much effort. In performance reality, I don't own those notes, so they're always iffy for me.

Even having a solid double G on the trumpet is enough though. I play in a working jazz/dance band and as was said, having that range makes everything you play easier, even after 3-4 hours of straight playing.

I agree with you on the mental thing, up to grand C im fine, but anything higher, I have to either really try to get it or tell myself just go for iti and hope ou get there. my highest note ever is double E. not bad for a 17 year old.

Range is fun to play around with. Especially when you're young and have something to prove.

At my age, I have sufficient range and more than adequate endurance to play everything I need to play. In real life playing, for most, range isn't so much an issue as a good playing style and tone. Also lots of dexterity is vital. There's a few songs we play at jobs that go up to say a G above high C. ("Satin Doll"' requires some Double G hits and then a measure later you're playing on the staff at pianissamo). Also, some licks have your fingers "flying"!

Our trumpet section is all drum corps guys and one lady. We play unmic-ed. When we cut loose on high parts or loud parts we have to be careful not to drown out the rest of the band, that is mic-ed. Our one trumpet that plays fourth, but then likes to scream high parts in songs like, "Kansas City" is so loud when he does it - you can only hear him. That's not a good thing, although he's a great player.

Nobody appreciates loud, high trumpet playing like another trumpet player. Sometimes the general public is less enthusiastic.

Just saying, to put things in perspective. It sounds like you may already have adequate range and practice will only make it stronger.

To be recognized as a good player and get calls to play jobs - spend most of your practice time on the "art" of playing. Listen to all the great players and hang on to what you like and try to make it your own. As boring as it is, go back to the basics often and test yourself. You'd be surprised how sloppy you can get when you only play normal music.

You'll go back to some difficult exercises and go, "I used to be able to do that perfectly!"

Keep some of this in mind and you'll have a lifetime of trumpet enjoyment in your future whether you play pro or not. :worthy:

Just like any musician, the three things you must be able to do are as follows:

Play IN TIME

-You must play with the metronome whenever you practice. If your playing is not metronomic, you're just annoying people.

Play IN TUNE

-You must practice with a pitch generator (eg., piano) every day. If you cannot play in tune with yourself or others, you're just annoying people.

Play with a GOOD SOUND

-You must listen to trumpet players all day long. Have an aural image of the sound you want, and go for it. NEVER play tight, this will only hamper your sound. Always find ways to relax more, especially the abs, shoulders, throat, chest, and the lip material inside the mouthpiece. NEVER force the instrument, NEVER "blow" the trumpet.

When these things come to fruition, you'll find that your range has improved to the point of not being a problem.

Here's one simple exercise that I was taught long ago that really worked...

Soft scales. Hold the horn with as little pressure as possible as it takes to produce a recognizable tone at ppp with NO articulation. Just a whisper of a sound that isn't held. Go up, say, a G scale. Then start over on an A and do the same up the A scale. When you need a little more pressure, don't press. Just hold it enough to support the weight, and tilt your head back slightly. When you can't go any higher, go on to other things. A few minutes of this each day can quickly raise your range.

I hadn't thought of this in years. but after attending Cavaliers Alumni camp last weekend, I think it's time to start again, myself!

Buy the Schlossberg, Clarke, and Irons book (among others) and please take lessons for the love of god

Buy the Schlossberg, Clarke, and Irons book (among others) and please take lessons for the love of god

Lessons can be a good idea, but it depends on what you expect of yourself and how much you want to invest in your playing.

Playing in the upper register is a very individualistic thing, that can't necessarily be taught. It's kind of a path you have to walk alone and find your own way.

It can be done without lessons, especially if the teacher can't play in the upper register.

Lessons can be a good idea, but it depends on what you expect of yourself and how much you want to invest in your playing.

Playing in the upper register is a very individualistic thing, that can't necessarily be taught. It's kind of a path you have to walk alone and find your own way.

It can be done without lessons, especially if the teacher can't play in the upper register.

So, thinking more globally, if one is planning to take private lessons it might be best to tell the potential private teacher what your goals are. And private teachers that are true professionals should take the time to find out what a student's goals are and be sure that those goals are realistic and achievable. If the teacher doesn't believe in the student - for whatever reason - then the teacher shouldn't take the student.

So, thinking more globally, if one is planning to take private lessons it might be best to tell the potential private teacher what your goals are. And private teachers that are true professionals should take the time to find out what a student's goals are and be sure that those goals are realistic and achievable. If the teacher doesn't believe in the student - for whatever reason - then the teacher shouldn't take the student.

Ahhh. Excellent.