Trumpet Range?

Discombobulato

Playing in the upper register is a very individualistic thing, that can't necessarily be taught. It's kind of a path you have to walk alone and find your own way.

Marty, you are right. Playing in the upper register doesn't always necessitate a lesson. Lessons are great to learn to play correctly with proper technique and such but playing high is something else. It's pretty easy to play just high notes by themselves but in the course of playing an entire show as part of the music is a bit tougher. I find Frank Minear's method to work for me and there have been some great suggestions on this thread. If it could be taught everyone would be able to do it and I really think there must be an inherent talent in those than can do it. And, as I said, all the suggestions and hints have been most insightful in this thread. They can only help.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say, after some time, when I read what I have written in various posts, I think to myself what an arse! I don't mean to put forth anything I write as though I'm an authority or the last word. I have a lot of playing experience and life experience and I think that counts for something, even though many times young people may dismiss it as "old school".

If you're young and get advice from me or anyone on here, take it at face value only. Do your own research. Look at the many options there are and the incredible amount of knowledge available because of the internet. It took me years of searching and experimenting, before the internet, before I came across something that worked for me - it would have been a 2 minute search now a days.

Be open to all ideas that seem credible, but never take anyone's recommendations as the final word, because there is only one you and only you can decide what works best for you. Learn all you can, experiment with the different ideas and methods people put forth, but above all, have fun with it. Don't get so serious that you miss the fun of music.

When someone else expresses disgust or disapproval with what you're doing; consider the source, indeed, consider if they may be right, but always try to be the player you want to be.

Some of the players here and on other sites giving advice are really, really good and you're getting the info for free. That is so cool. :tongue:

Edited by Martybucs

The Voice of Logic hit the nail right on the head.

Trumpet playing should be a very relaxing endeavor, even in the upper register. Straining or using tension in the wrong places to play high notes will only kill your range, endurance, sound, flexibility, and power. The best high note players in the world make it look and sound easy, because they aren't doing very much physically. Emulate that approach, and always strive to get tension out of your playing. Works for me!

The Voice of Logic hit the nail right on the head.

Trumpet playing should be a very relaxing endeavor, even in the upper register. Straining or using tension in the wrong places to play high notes will only kill your range, endurance, sound, flexibility, and power. The best high note players in the world make it look and sound easy, because they aren't doing very much physically. Emulate that approach, and always strive to get tension out of your playing. Works for me!

Drew, did you ever try tce, (tongue controlled embouchure)? I remember a Drew on maybe the trumpet herald site saying he was trying it. Wondered if anyone has had any success with it.

Hey Marty--

I do use the tongue controlled embouchure for the upper register. It has taken me about 5 years to REALLY get it going to the point where I can play some great solos (Oh Holy Night, Maynard Ferguson, Macarthur Park, etc) at a level which is worthy of public performance, and without physical strain. For legit playing, and most everything in or below the stave, I anchor tongue ala Claude Gordon. The two approaches are very similar, but anchor tonguing provides a more characteristic trumpet sound below the upper register. Quick tongue switch, and the upper register is easily accessible.

Earlier this year, I did a Maynard tribute concert with Andrea Tofanelli (if you aren't aware as to who he is, please look him up!!). Charts on the set included On Green Dolphin Street, People, and Macarthur Park. I have to tell you, playing lead AND the solos in Macarthur Park would have been IMPOSSIBLE had it not been for the tongue controlled embouchure. Not only has it made the extreme upper register viable and easy, but it has saved my life MANY times from an endurance standpoint.

If you haven't really looked into the concepts, please do. I would not steer you wrong!

Hey Marty--

I do use the tongue controlled embouchure for the upper register. It has taken me about 5 years to REALLY get it going to the point where I can play some great solos (Oh Holy Night, Maynard Ferguson, Macarthur Park, etc) at a level which is worthy of public performance, and without physical strain. For legit playing, and most everything in or below the stave, I anchor tongue ala Claude Gordon. The two approaches are very similar, but anchor tonguing provides a more characteristic trumpet sound below the upper register. Quick tongue switch, and the upper register is easily accessible.

Earlier this year, I did a Maynard tribute concert with Andrea Tofanelli (if you aren't aware as to who he is, please look him up!!). Charts on the set included On Green Dolphin Street, People, and Macarthur Park. I have to tell you, playing lead AND the solos in Macarthur Park would have been IMPOSSIBLE had it not been for the tongue controlled embouchure. Not only has it made the extreme upper register viable and easy, but it has saved my life MANY times from an endurance standpoint.

If you haven't really looked into the concepts, please do. I would not steer you wrong!

When I discovered the site, I did try it a little bit.

Our cat usually comes in the room and curls up nearby when I practice. I started trying the tce and it was an unearthly sound. Bob got up and left the room, I laughed and haven't tried it much since. Maybe I'll check it out again.

I have to thankyou all again, I really didn't expect having many replies or this much helpful info. Thanks everyone, reading this has helped me get ideas, but what I really need to do is practice (and a lot of practice it will take!).

If you want to get the right feel for playing in the upper register with ease, do ALL of your practicing at pianissimo and with as little mouthpiece pressure as possible. 99 out of 100 people with range and/or endurance problems are playing with an aperture that is pinned open, and held shut with mouthpiece pressure. Pull the mouthpiece away, and practice as soft as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

if you want i can send you the warm up that really helped my range go from around C/D to Solid Double G's with my bach 2 1/2c mouthpiece and solid double A's with my lead piece. it only takes 25 mins or so a day but yeah i can send it to you if you'd like

I'll take a copy of that. that is impressive, double G's on a 2 1/2 C? WWWOOOOWWWW

if you want i can send you the warm up that really helped my range go from around C/D to Solid Double G's with my bach 2 1/2c mouthpiece and solid double A's with my lead piece. it only takes 25 mins or so a day but yeah i can send it to you if you'd like