Just a thought...

I personal don't mind anything new going on with drum corps, except for the over usage of voice, and IMO the cadets show would've been my favorite, if they hadn't overused some narration at points...like right after the opening hit <**> ....but anyways I'm getting off track, I didn't mean this to be about that whole narration issue......but the amplified pits make the whole educational part of playing in the front ensemble more worth while, seeing as they can use proper technique and not have to "bang" on the instruments to compensate for the volume of the rest of the corps behind them.........I also think that raising the max. member limit should not go up anymore....before long the field will look too cluttered and you get into the whole issue of some corps trying to "hide" their mistakes and all that.......remember this is all an opinion about how I myself personally feel. peace

Probably lower. But I doubt it was much lower than Open Class, which is a more fair comparison. And a larger crowd.

I don't find the comparison to be equal, but please share with me how you determined that the biggest marching band competition in the country should be compared to the crowd drawn by smaller drum corps at an alternate venue.

Edited by Tekneek

I don't find the comparison to be equal, but please share with me how you determined that the biggest marching band competition in the country should be compared to the crowd drawn by smaller drum corps at an alternate venue.

Because they both cater to the same educational field.

Because they both cater to the same educational field.

But, at the same time, BOA isn't busy marketing the big bands that are performing at some other venue while expecting a significant crowd to go see their Finalist units. Your comparison doesn't take into account the business reality that may very well be damaging Div II/III attendance. People would have had to find their way to Pasadena City College and then back to the Rose Bowl for events taking place on the same day on Friday and Saturday this past summer.

Edited by Tekneek

But, at the same time, BOA isn't busy marketing the big bands that are performing at some other venue while expecting a significant crowd to go see their Finalist units. Your comparison doesn't take into account the business reality that may very well be damaging Div II/III attendance. People would have had to find their way to Pasadena City College and then back to the Rose Bowl for events taking place on the same day on Friday and Saturday this past summer.

Well then, to be honest, I don't think there is a fair comparison to be made between BOA GN and a DCI event.

I think as DCI corps grow in member numbers, it will shrink in the number of total corps.

However, with more and more all age corps springing up we will find in the next 4 years or so that DCA will fill the void with more "weekend warrior" type corps that won't cost a fortune to march.

The fact that a kid can keep a summer job AND march will greatly add to the DCA enrollment.

Many kids knew nothing about DCA, many still don't, but the increase of the number of corps I'm seeing, the shift is changing.

I can verywell see Hopkins ideas of 10 DCI SUPERCORPS and many others going the DCA route.

The only problems I see with the DCA route is the fact that schools in the south start before Labor Day making it hard for many high school band members to miss the band performance at the football game the Friday of Labor day.

I would support a real junior corps division in DCA, but consider the age cut off at around 18. By doing this you might just bring in more high school summer band programs into the mix. ( just a thought )

My concerns are with the kids that can't afford to march a whole summer and pay $1500-$3000 between camp and tour fees. To keep it a youth activity for ANY kid, I think DCA is on the rise way beyond what they realize.

If this all happens, I think it will please everyone. The big boys get to play super corps while at the same time growing the activity through DCA.