Question about Phantom Regiment

Were they named after the Leroy Anderson piece The Phantom Regiment?

here is a link to the piece if it helps:

http://www.leroy-anderson.com/la-mp3/phantom-regiment.mp3

From the corps' website history page.

<<Formed in 1956 by a group of VFW 342 members who wanted to see a competitive drum corps, it was named the Rockford Rangers, with an all-girl color guard to be called the Rangerettes.

Many of the members did not feel the name "Rangers" was appropriate for their corps. Some of the members had been listening to some Stetson D. Richmond records, and were impressed with a tune the Syracuse Brigadiers had played entitled "The Phantom Regiment." Thus, before the corps had made any public appearances, the corps name had been changed to the Phantom Regiment and the all-girl color guard was called the Phantomettes.>>

Edited by Michael Boo

From the corps' website history page.

<<Formed in 1956 by a group of VFW 342 members who wanted to see a competitive drum corps, it was named the Rockford Rangers, with an all-girl color guard to be called the Rangerettes.

Many of the members did not feel the name "Rangers" was appropriate for their corps. Some of the members had been listening to some Stetson D. Richmond records, and were impressed with a tune the Syracuse Brigadiers had played entitled "The Phantom Regiment." Thus, before the corps had made any public appearances, the corps name had been changed to the Phantom Regiment and the all-girl color guard was called the Phantomettes.>>

So yes?

The corps name was most definately inspired by a song played by the Syracuse Brigadiers - "The Phantom Regiment". Very cool. :dry:

IIRC, they played that piece as a backfield warmup in 1977 ! That was awesome at the time. May have played it other years as well.

Back in the day, in the 79 Regiment yearbook I think it was, it stated they were named for a Kipling poem called "The Lost Legion." Could this be the work that inspired the Anderson piece?

Edited by tommytimp

If my memory serves me...I believe The Lost Legion was a piece by Kipling that told the story of a British legion "Regiment" that was sent to India to defend the crown....who landed and was never heard from again. :doh::dry::dry::dry::dry::doh:

From what I can tell there is no direct correlation between Anderson's piece and Kipling's poem but the similarities are interesting.