Can an IW guard, first year out, win WGI nowadays?

TKYR_FA1986

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Mike!

I thought the "tick" system was long gone by then!! Glad you clarified that!

Didn't Empire Statesmen come out with an indoor guard that finished in 3rd or 4th place at WGI their first (and only to this point) year in existence? It was a show about a train or something. 2004? 2005?

That's the closest I can think of a 'new' guard finishing at the top.

I think that Empire would be another example similiar to Erte. They were basically Patriots kids and Patriots staff.

Didn't Empire Statesmen come out with an indoor guard that finished in 3rd or 4th place at WGI their first (and only to this point) year in existence? It was a show about a train or something. 2004? 2005?

That's the closest I can think of a 'new' guard finishing at the top.

Empire was 6th in 2005. I think the group that held that honor before them was Crown Guard (now Corona) who came out their first year in 2001 and finished 9th.

Crown Guard came out in 2000 and finished 7th.

Other guards to place high in the first year of competition recently were the Santa Clara Vanguard (6th in 2006) and Phantom Regiment (7th in 2007).

Do any of you think that can be accomplished again? I, for one don't see it happening ever again. I think Zingali's name being attached to Erte had a HUGE part in it and even then, they wouldn't give them the all out win they deserved.

FWIW, Zingali had others guards that didn't place as high, so his superb show designs could only go so far. He also needed a guard with the talent level to pull it off as astonishingly well as Erte did. That combination -- groundbreaking show design (along with the first floor tarp ever, as I recall) -- was what earned them the championship.

Now that I think about it, that is probably the reason I never cared for State Street Review. The fact that they became co-gold medalist twice and IMHO, neither was deserved. Not to mention the fact that had too much crap on the court. It was like they raided every prop and costume shop in the midwest to make a production.

OK, I think we should point out that this notion of who "deserves" to win is opinion. It may well be an informed opinion, but in the end, it's all still opinion. I happen to be of the same opinion; I think Erte should've won the championship outright in '85, Odyssey in '86, but I still liked State Street and admired them for the skill with which they performed their shows. Did they have too much jewelry out there? Sure, I could go along with that, but it doesn't change the high execution with which they performed some pretty demanding shows.

My main thing is that I strongly dislike ties, especially those for a championship. But, then again, it could be that the guard I liked best might have been deprived of a championship, had there been a tie-breaker. So it cuts both ways.

FWIW, Zingali had others guards that didn't place as high, so his superb show designs could only go so far. He also needed a guard with the talent level to pull it off as astonishingly well as Erte did. That combination -- groundbreaking show design (along with the first floor tarp ever, as I recall) -- was what earned them the championship.

Speaking of which:

erte.jpeg