New Design For Spartans.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Myusik4Jakassez
It seems that, similar to ECJ, all that remains in Nashua is a corps director and a name. Those things don't appear to carry much weight for the former members of either corps.

So you're saying they're going to end up like ECJ? Wow, and just when they got new Bb's too...

This is really twisted. DCI or some really rich dude should start some kind of charity program for corps like these.

Edited by Myusik4Jakassez

So you're saying they're going to end up like ECJ? Wow, and just when they got new Bb's too...

This is really twisted. DCI or some really rich dude should start some kind of charity program for corps like these.

I was just saying that it seems like neither corps got back a lot of returning members because the staff they knew is no longer there. My point is just that a corps is better defined by the people involved (staff, volunteers, members) than by a name or history. The Spartans and ECJ of the future (well, present) are no longer the corps many vets knew them to be.

I don't think Spartans have the same financial troubles that ECJ does, so I doubt they'll be folding any time soon.

Also, corps that mismanage money do not deserve to be put on some kind of charity program. Yes, it is sad whenever the activity loses another corps, but giving them something to fall back on will only encourage poor money management.

I don't think it has anything to do with money, its more of a leadership thing I think.

Edited by Caesar

I usually don't like to weigh in on stuff like this, but I really think that we're ignoring the Spartan's history here. Peter LaFlamme has been running that corps for as long as I can remember, and well. If there has been a mismanagement of money, then it has only been recently. I'd say that somebody with his track record deserves a mistake or two. Like most people on here, I have no idea why all of the staff really left, but I do know that while the new staff are young and "inexperienced," they're still quality, and have a lot of potential to grow over the next few years. So what if the Spartans only have 60 members this year? If the staff does it's job, they'll have 75 the next, and 100, the next, and so on. Peter is no stranger to how this stuff works, and I'd imagine that with his many years as the corps director, he's been through situations like this before. My first instinct is to look at his track record, look at his experience, and trust that when it is all said and done, the Spartans will be okay.

Whoa whoa whoa!

Hold the hell on here.

Accusing an organization like Spartans of financial trouble because the staff left is hardly on base. They have their reasons for leaving obviously but money is NOT on that list. Not for any of them. Financially the organization is doing very well, and is one of the few corps that runs in the black in this division. Check out their tax forms if you want proof. Peter Laflamme runs a very tight ship business wise, and will continue to do so. The reason the Bb's weren't bought last year was so we could go to Pasadena. The corps knows when to control spending.

The lack of returning vets is no issue. So what if they have an off year? Spending more than a decade in the top 5 gets difficult for any corps. Especially one in division 2/3. A high turnover year to year happens. 2007 was the highest turnover I experienced with them. Still got gold. If they slip past 3rd I will still be cheering them on. The Spartans have been a fixture in the New England drum corps community since 1955 for a reason. The only thing you people do when you flex your opinions on a public forum (which I have NO problem with, trust me) is discourage potential members who may be looking at this thread. So unless you back up your post with hard evidence of gross mismanagement please think of the consequences before you hit 'post reply'.

That all being said you think that this new staff doesn't have the weight of 4 world championships hanging above their heads already? Does it even matter to them? When did being a Spartan mean that not finishing top 3 is a failed season? Where on their mission statement do they ever say "We are the perfect corps, we will always be top 3, and march over 100 members."? I don't see it, so why expect it? If they drop below 70 members this year I don't care. Those 60 kids will have a great summer, and will stretch their legs in this wonderful activity. God bless that corps for giving them the chance to do just that for so long.

I usually don't like to weigh in on stuff like this, but I really think that we're ignoring the Spartan's history here. Peter LaFlamme has been running that corps for as long as I can remember, and well. If there has been a mismanagement of money, then it has only been recently. I'd say that somebody with his track record deserves a mistake or two. Like most people on here, I have no idea why all of the staff really left, but I do know that while the new staff are young and "inexperienced," they're still quality, and have a lot of potential to grow over the next few years. So what if the Spartans only have 60 members this year? If the staff does it's job, they'll have 75 the next, and 100, the next, and so on. Peter is no stranger to how this stuff works, and I'd imagine that with his many years as the corps director, he's been through situations like this before. My first instinct is to look at his track record, look at his experience, and trust that when it is all said and done, the Spartans will be okay.

Though, you have some valid points, I just can't believe that there are so many people would leave if there wasn't an issue with the administration. Some of past staff members and volunteers have spent 10+ years with the drum corps, to invest that much time in an organization must have been something large to make them all leave.

Whoa whoa whoa!

Hold the hell on here.

Accusing an organization like Spartans of financial trouble because the staff left is hardly on base. They have their reasons for leaving obviously but money is NOT on that list. Not for any of them. Financially the organization is doing very well, and is one of the few corps that runs in the black in this division. Check out their tax forms if you want proof. Peter Laflamme runs a very tight ship business wise, and will continue to do so. The reason the Bb's weren't bought last year was so we could go to Pasadena. The corps knows when to control spending.

The lack of returning vets is no issue. So what if they have an off year? Spending more than a decade in the top 5 gets difficult for any corps. Especially one in division 2/3. A high turnover year to year happens. 2007 was the highest turnover I experienced with them. Still got gold. If they slip past 3rd I will still be cheering them on. The Spartans have been a fixture in the New England drum corps community since 1955 for a reason. The only thing you people do when you flex your opinions on a public forum (which I have NO problem with, trust me) is discourage potential members who may be looking at this thread. So unless you back up your post with hard evidence of gross mismanagement please think of the consequences before you hit 'post reply'.

That all being said you think that this new staff doesn't have the weight of 4 world championships hanging above their heads already? Does it even matter to them? When did being a Spartan mean that not finishing top 3 is a failed season? Where on their mission statement do they ever say "We are the perfect corps, we will always be top 3, and march over 100 members."? I don't see it, so why expect it? If they drop below 70 members this year I don't care. Those 60 kids will have a great summer, and will stretch their legs in this wonderful activity. God bless that corps for giving them the chance to do just that for so long.

The lack of returning vets is no issue??? really? I'm sorry but thats a large issue to me. When a drum corps like the spartans which is a community base drum crops loose a lot of members that is a horrible thing. It proves a point that there is something wrong.

OK so everyone is ignoring the most important issue - WHY DID THE STAFF AND THEN KIDS LEAVE?

The corps has a history of sucess, financial stability, great instructional staff.

What happened?

Allegations of leadership issue have been made but not elaborated on. For that many long time staff members to leave en masse there has to have been something that affected the exodus.

Well?

Though, you have some valid points, I just can't believe that there are so many people would leave if there wasn't an issue with the administration. Some of past staff members and volunteers have spent 10+ years with the drum corps, to invest that much time in an organization must have been something large to make them all leave.