fund raising question

With the fees for a world class corps being over $2000 in most cases and traveling expenses tacked on to it many young performers are stuck with either finding sponsorships or just not marching...

for me not marching is not an option.

and i know that many of you have had to find sponsorships.

My question is....

aside from family, friends,alumni and random people you know. where do you search for sponsorship? Do businesses sponsor drum corps kids? if so what places do? Do any big names like Walmart or any thing like that do it? if so, whats the best way to go about this?

thank you guys

Craig

Madison '07

SCV '08

many drum corps fans take part in sponsorships as well, you just have to ask. Taking advantage of DCP's sponsor board is a great place to start :)

Some smaller local businesses might want to help you out... a lot of times though, national and local chains have giving guidelines that they have to follow and a certain budget they're allowed to work with. Wal Mart, for example, has a form to fill out, and at least in AZ will not give to 501©3 charitable organizations that are not religious or do not receive government funding. You may want to talk to your corps director about how they handle tuition sponsorships - some (I have heard... and if anyone knows what corps, let me know!) will credit it as a donation that gets your sponsor a tax deduction, while others will credit it toward tuition, which a sponsor can't get a tax deduction for. That should help you narrow down who else you can approach.

With the fees for a world class corps being over $2000 in most cases and traveling expenses tacked on to it many young performers are stuck with either finding sponsorships or just not marching...

for me not marching is not an option.

and i know that many of you have had to find sponsorships.

My question is....

aside from family, friends,alumni and random people you know. where do you search for sponsorship? Do businesses sponsor drum corps kids? if so what places do? Do any big names like Walmart or any thing like that do it? if so, whats the best way to go about this?

thank you guys

Craig

Madison '07

SCV '08

Anyone you or your parents do business with should be a candidate for a request. Service businesses are best. My son received sponsorships from my lawyer, copy shop, financial advisor, contractor and several clients whom I visited for free while traveling through their area following the corps. We have not had much success with doctors.

The key is to write a request letter that explains the cost of one day of tour or something easily understood like that. Then ask someone to sponsor you for a day or two. Then send out at least 60 letters. Make it sound like $40 makes a difference because you are more likely to get 25 contributions at $40 than one for $1,000.

I think you are much more likely to raise the necessary funds with people you know and have a relationship with than Walmart or any big business.

Whatever you get, remember to follow up with a thank you note after the season.

Whatever you get, remember to follow up with a thank you note after the season.

I sponsored a young man last year who sent me a photo of himself in his corps uniform at the end of the season, along with a beautifully written thank you note. It was a nice touch.

Tell potential sponsors they can make checks payable to the corps, not to you. They will be more likely to be able to claim the tax deduction for a charitable donation.

Agreed, you should go to people/businesses who know you even if only by sight and/or association. For example, the corner grocery where you stop for coffee every morning, or employers of your parents or other family members.

Going in person with well-written letter in hand is far superior to sending one by mail. Ideally it should be addressed uniquely to the recipient, even if you don't know the name, as in "Dear Qwiky-Mart Manager" rather than "Dear Potential Sponsor".

Fervent thank you's are a must if you plan to ask for another donation next year. A second follow up thank you after the season is over paves the way for next year.

People find it hard to throw away photographs. Attach a photo of yourself in uniform from last season. Not a copy/paste into the letter, but an actual separate photograph printed on photo paper, the old school way.

Yes. It's a lot of work. But ... you'd have to work a lot of hours to earn $2,000 at a job too.

Tell potential sponsors they can make checks payable to the corps, not to you. They will be more likely to be able to claim the tax deduction for a charitable donation.

The check should always be payable to the corps for the safety of the donor but not because that would make it deductible. As long as the benefit is going to an identified individual it is not deductible.

Every year I offer this advice and I have yet to hear of anyone take it... For the four years I marched junior corps, I was fully sponsored every year by my local VFW and its Auxiliary Unit. The first year I called the local VFW and asked if I could attend their meeting and give a brief presentation and make a plea/request for donation. I gave a short speech about drum corps including a poster board with pics. Luckily these vets knew what drum corps was so it was an easy sell. The VFW unit sponsored half of my tour and the Ladies Auxiliary covered the other half. Each year I went back, thanked them, updated them on my progress and the corps' progress and each year they sponsored me.

If one VFW post can't handle the full sponsorship, try a few different posts. The city I live in has several.

Go back to drum corps' roots, people!

Edited by Mistress Kelli